DjangoBooks.com

New Guitar Incoming! Patenotte 260

Just found and purchased this rare model! I've been looking for one of these for years, ever since I played Stephane's (@Joli Gadjo) in DC when he led the Hot Club there. For me that was around 2008-2011. That particular guitar is now with fellow member @pickitjohn, unless anything has changed. I'm so excited to have found one of my own, and will update with pics when it arrives.

BucojonpowljuandererWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBones

Comments

• McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    edited May 2021 Posts: 75

Sorry for no pics yet. Well, except for the ones in the link below. That was when it was originally sold, apparently.

Good news: I can tell it's going to be awesome.

Not so good news: it needs some work to get it into top playing condition--frets, bridge, tailpiece. Fortunately, all is right with the transaction and I will be able to afford to get this work done.

The frets had been leveled but not crowned, so they're flat on top and too low to crown. So it will need new frets. Does anyone know what size these had originally? Seems like medium jumbo, maybe. I really like what was on the Eastman Vignola I had, Jescar FW47104 = .104" wide by .047" high, and I'm pretty sure that's what is on my AR-804ce oval hole archtop, as well.

Also, some of these models did have Selmer style three piece moustache bridges, but this one's three-piece is a replacement. Based on the serial, I was able to find the guitar as originally sold at gypsyguitars.com several years back, and the bridge on this guitar was originally a longer, single-piece Pattenote style.

The tailpiece appears to be a replacement, this one being the S import found on Gitane, etc. It really deserves to be put back to the way it was designed, in my opinion--DR or DB it looks like from the old listing pics.

BucoBones

The Patenotte has returned! I sent it off to be fixed up by @Craig Bumgarner, who brought it back to life with new frets (Jescar EVO 47104), new bridge and his own custom tailpiece. I had considered going with a Selmer style, but I wanted a visual reminder of Craig's involvement. Plus, I love the design and thought it was fitting for this particular guitar, as I see the cutouts as wings--a subtle reference to the butterfly inlay. Craig worked some magic and I'm so glad everything came together well. Everything feels and sounds just right. Thank you again, Craig!

This one is hard to stop playing! The feeling I have playing it matches my expectations and memory from way back, which is a welcome relief. It's so nice to have a short scale (645mm) 14 fret cutaway in this style!

BucobillyshakesScoredogrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsWillieBonesJSantaAndyW

Gorgeous

McQ
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Do you call her Mariposa?! Though with her French heritage, perhaps Papillon is more appropriate? She is beautiful. You are right, those cutouts look like angel wings.

McQBuco

Is it in good of a shape as it looks on pictures? Even if I zoom in everything looks mint. Like a few years old, almost never played guitar.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

When I got it it was almost unplayable, the frets were extremely low and flat--no crown. The bridge was really dodgy. And the fretboard itself was not in great shape. Rough inlay edges, one of the inlays had come unglued. So all that was fixed by Craig. There are some minor blemishes in the finish here and there, but now it really is in excellent condition!

BucobillyshakesWillierudolfochristAndyW
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Nice. I always liked Patenottes, much under-rated, for some reason the (not Sicilian?) name never registers on the guitar snob's likes list.

I did not see any 'before' photos but the condition there, the flame maple back and sides and the fab' inlays all add up to a real gem!

The tailpiece I would suggest is influenced by a design often seen on Di Mauros but yes. it suits this guitar too.

Well done all concerned.

And that is my second envy moment of today's forum content.

McQ