DjangoBooks.com

Clip-on Mic -> Multi effect pedal for Gypsy jazz

Hi Everyone

I have a Selmer copy(Phiilippine made) , prodipe clip-on mic and an old Orange amp. I am considering buying a Zoom A1xfour pedal with phantom power for amplification, Eq, anti-feedback and maybe chorus.

Need your advice if this is oK. Also, kindly share how you amplify your guitars, cut feedback, and add enhancements for gigs

Thanks

Elroy :)

Comments

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

I can't give any advice on the Zoom A1xfour, but I also have the prodipe GL21 Lanen clip-on mic. I usually plug this into a Headway EDB-2 for preamp, EQ, feedback reduction and then from it's line out into the return input of an AER Compact 60.

Works great for me.

Elroy Montano
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I come from a different school of thought--the less technology involved in making my GJ sound, the better. I also dislike the unpredictability that can come with using a mike (clip-on or otherwise) at a gig, especially regarding feedback. Although some guys I play with use clip-on mics without the hassles I used to have with them. I use a krivo micro manouche pickup, puttied to my guitar, and straight thru the amp. It's a trade off--I dont have the pure acoustic sound that can be produced with a mic, but I know how my guitar will sound in every situation & there's no battle with feedback. Others will surely disagree with this, but that's a trade-off that I'm happy to make.

WillieElroy Montano
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

This demo of the  prodipe GL21 Lanen clip-on mic is interesting:

@rudolfochrist is a preamp for feedback reduction essential or just advisable for playing in noisy venues, sitting near the amp?

rudolfochrist
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    edited April 2021 Posts: 140

@Bill Da Costa Williams

I would say it's not essential. The Compact 60's second channel also takes XLR and provides phantom powers as well. But the 5 band EQ and the notch filter really help getting a grip on frequencies that are producing feedback. Once I had the notch filter on without having feedback, but somehow it sounded better in that room. 🤷‍♂️

When I know that the house is having a PA than I don't bother bringing the amp at all and just brig the EDB-2. Less stuff to carry.

For very noisy venues, say bar gigs etc, this doesn't work. Or at least for me it is, like @MikeK said, too much hassle and unpredictable. I may get away with it, when I limit myself to rhythm playing, but for playing also lead, I just use the pêche pickup.

BillDaCostaWilliamsMikeK