DjangoBooks.com

Beefed up high E?

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I feel like I could use a little more volume on my high E string on both of my Altamiras. I've noticed it when I'm amplifier & unplugged. I wonder if anyone else has this issue? I use Argie 11's (I buy them 5 sets at a time from Michael), I'm thinking maybe switching the E to a 12 may get me where I want to be. I'm also interested in suggestions for an appropriate .12, if folks think it's a good idea.

Comments

Have you tried using a different bridge? That might help. The Dupont ones are good. Also, it may be the guitar itself thats not that loud. I've played on an Altamira with 11s and it sounded much weaker/thinner than my ERG which has 10s on it... I'm a big fan of low tension Gali strings.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,457

Yeah, I do think it's a good idea! I played for years with 0.012 + 0.016 on high E and B respectively, and even tried 0.013 + 0.017 for a while. I would order Dean Markley Blue Steel Acoustic set, use the E and B and then just throw the other 4 strings out since argentine 1510MF are much better for the wound strings. For me it was not really about volume at all, but wanting a higher tension - it's easier to play hard and fast when the strings bounce back with force.

These days I play with a different tuning, with the E and B being tuned up to F and C respectively (straight fourths) and that provides the higher tension that I want on the melody strings. So now I just use a straight set of argies 1510 MF. But yeah, if you're finding the top E too weak/floppy, I can recommend to experiment with an 0.012 or even 0.013 and see if you like it

BucovanmalmsteenrudolfochristBonesWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
  • BonesBones Moderator

Hey Wim, what do your chord shapes look like with that tuning? Interesting.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

These days I play with a different tuning, with the E and B being tuned up to F and C respectively (straight fourths) and that provides the higher tension that I want on the melody strings.

I completely understand the concept here and applaud you for thinking outside the box. That said, I think it would make my tiny pea brain completely explode.

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Travis, I appreciate the suggestion about the bridge. I have a custom-built bridge in my M-10 & the stock bridge in my M-01D. Except for the slightly quiet high E, the M-01D has good volume, in fact I use it on my weekly gig in Asheville when my trio plays unplugged & I'm happy with the overall volume. The M-10 is quieter overall, but I only use it when I'm amplified, since I like the sound of it better through the amp.

Wim, I too am mystified by your modified tuning. Guys that can transpose to a different key on the fly are like mystics to me, but you're in a different league altogether. I'm going to take a .12 out of my D'Addario strings for my old dreadnought from my past life (why is that dot on the wrong fret?!) & try it out on the M-01D and see how it goes. I'll report back this weekend.

• edited April 2021 Posts: 4,735

I've heard of people tuning a guitar in 4ths. Gotta say, not in a million years did I expect to see someone doing it in Gypsy Jazz. You go Wim, looking forward to see you play.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Ned Boynton, in San Francisco, has been playing gypsy jazz like that for years. But he tunes his guitar (low to high):

Eb Ab Db Gb B E

He had Shelly Park make him an extra-long-scale guitar to accomodate the low Eb tonality.

I've played with him. Fun to see him solo on the bridge to Daphne.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

I might be in the minority here but when I need more volume out of a string I attack it harder. 🤷‍♂️

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Me too, but I find that the top E string gets a “plinky” overpicked sound that is semi-unpleasant to hear... that’s why I like to use a 12 instead an 11...

Will

wim
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

That's it exactly, Will. I changed the .11 to a .12 today on the M-01D and I can totally tell the difference. I'll swap the E on the M-10 soon & use it on my gig this weekend through the amp, but I already high hopes for it. As always, I appreciate the shared wisdom on this forum.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsLango-Djangobillyshakes