DjangoBooks.com

Tuning Peg Repair/Replacement

Is it possible to replace the B string tuning peg on a Barault (Selmer copy)? The Barault website shows the entire strip of three being for sale, but there are screws holding the individual pegs in place.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

It depends on what's broken. I think when you say the there are screws holding the individual pegs in place you mean the covers of each peg. These were designed so that they could be removed to allow for maintenance - like lubricating the mechanism. The problem will be finding single replacement parts, whatever it is you need.

Schaller introduced their Classic Selmer range which were much cheaper than a lot of others. They are now harder to find and their peg covers are riveted on so not as flexible for repairs.

always learning
  • h24015h24015 New jean barault, mateos

Thanks CP, I'm not sure what needs repairing. The guitar plays fine now and I've been leery of taking the cover off since I'm recording for the next few weeks. The luthier who works on my guitars is sidelined due to medical issues. Hal

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Not sure what tuners Barault uses but probably best to ask him first; he would know what parts, if any, are available.

crookedpinky - I have a couple of sets of the Schaller Classics and they are top quality and work very well but yes, the riveted covers did give me cause for concern should anything need servicing. Recently I heard they no longer make them anyway.

• edited April 2021 Posts: 4,734

A friend used to have a Barault where Jean used the Schaller tuner and he drilled the rivets and put in the small screws instead. Then my friend's son broke a tuner peg. He replaced it with another Schaller set, one side only as his were three on a plate. If they're individual ones, it's even easier. It's really a bummer they stopped making them. Hight quality tuners at quarter of the price of alternatives.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TwangTwang New

A luthier told me that often other luthiers use the important working parts from ready made tuners like schaller and Gotoh and only make the fancy bits themselves.

• TwangTwang New

Nothing wrong with that but you might find it easy to get replacement parts for this reason.

• h24015h24015 New jean barault, mateos

Thanks for the input. BTW, Twang, or you a "Wizard Of Id" fan by any chance?

• TwangTwang New

Er no sorry never heard of it.