DjangoBooks.com

Happy Birthday Django--in gratitude

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in Welcome Posts: 383

111 years young today! I'm grateful to him for inspiring me to chase my dreams, musical & otherwise. Especially for the ones that have come true. What are you all grateful to him for?

billyshakesMichaelHorowitzPetrovCraigHensleyjaredBucovanmalmsteenBonesJohnVB

Comments

• jaredjared New
    edited January 2021 Posts: 32

I'm very grateful indeed for the inspiration and motivation I get from listening to him. I wrote and recorded a little waltz for him this morning. Hope you all enjoy.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBonesBucowimbillyshakesJohnVB
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

This is beautiful, Jared. A fine tribute!

Bonesjared
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 4,735

When I moved to the east coast, I visited Django jam and that's all it took to form life long friendships.

BonesMikeKbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I’m grateful for his amazing music, and all the musical friends I have made because of it... both cyber- and real life- friends...

Any friend of Django’s is a friend of mine!

MikeKBucobillyshakesBones
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Delightful.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

I'm most grateful that Django did not give up the instrument after the accident! There is such irony that the man with the crippled left hand is still the greatest guitarist and unmatched to this day.

Personally, this strange fact that Django did not simply make a career change has altered the way that I look at the world. If I ever catch myself thinking that something seems too difficult (and not only in music, but life in general) then the story of Django's helps me to recognize an excuse as just that. Sometimes you've got to deal with adversity and just work around it somehow, find some way through.

BucorudolfochristMikeKbillyshakesBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsadrian

@Wim Glenn what I wonder is this; he must've been doubting his ability to continue playing himself, at least at some point, wouldn't you think? I just can't see him being determined to continue at all times during his recovery and confident that he'll be able to make a living playing again. There must've been a moment where it could've gone either way. And none of this would exist. So much music has been made after him that's made this world richer and better. I have close friends on this forum, bandmates former and current. And it all hinged on one man's determination not to give up. It just blows my mind how much this man changed the world and life of so many in the best way possible.

rudolfochristJohnVBMikeKbillyshakesBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsLango-Django
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051

I made a little tribute video here :

I have to agree with Les Paul, Willie Nelson, and countless others... he's the greatest!

BillDaCostaWilliamsjaredMikeK
    E=Fb : The Theory of Relativity