DjangoBooks.com

How many playable Selmers remain?

1235»

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,002
    I have had several chats with Jacques Mazzoleni, and he has commented that pre-war guitars are relatively scarce, and suspects many may have been damaged by bombs and artillery fire, as well as carted off by soldiers, used, and discarded/lost during movements and fighting. Jacques figured that relatively few are still around, but that may only be true in France. I have read that the bulk of pre-war Selmers went to England, so maybe some will start popping up. There is supposedly a d-hole Selmer in pieces in Chicago, and I have made several attempts to reach the supposed owner via an intermediary, but so far, all inquiries have been deflected, rather indelicately, if I might add.

Scot, I owe you an e-mail. I am just back to semi-on-my-feet status, so I have a lot of catching up to do.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia
    edited July 2020 Posts: 140

Adding to this thread after a gap of some 6 years or so... since 2013 I have been attempting to maintain and expand the "surviving original Selmers" list on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selmer_guitar#Surviving_original_Selmers), it has grown a bit since then (also with contributions by some others, for which thanks). I used to keep such a list on odd pieces of paper for my own amusement, this is way better... Hopefully it will remain a useful resource for the future. Happy to receive any further info, corrections, etc., although (with a little knowledge of relevant style and guidelines) the intention is that others can edit the page with the additional information they have. Regards - Tony

vanmalmsteenTwangBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesadrian
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I used to own #670 -- bought it in the 80s for $3,500, got cold feet and soon after had a friend bring it to Japan, where it sold and I got $3,000 net. It's in Japan now.

vanmalmsteenBucobillyshakeswimBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
    edited July 2020 Posts: 140

Thanks pdg - I have added a link to that information to the wiki page.

Cheers - Tony

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Posts: 872

Here is one more to add to the list Tony...

#596 owned by Neil Andersson (Pearl Django fame). Have played it numerous times.

billyshakes

Thanks for the information Scoredog, list updated as of now :)

Regards - Tony