DjangoBooks.com

Bigtone and peche Comparison Audio example

Which pickup sound do you think is better and more beautiful for gypsy lead guitar?

I heard bad comments about bigtone,but In my opinion, bigtone have a warmer and more beautiful sound !

Thanks to my dear friend diknu schneeberget for playing these audio examples.

Play acoustically

Bigtone+AER compact60

Bigtone+AER compact60+40%reverb effect

Bigtone+AER compact60+60%reverb effect

Peche+AER compact60

Peche+AER compact60+60%reverb effect

rudolfochristTwangBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Personally I like the sound of the peche more. It's more direct (I hope that makes any sense 😂). What I absolutely dislike is anything with reverb. For me that doesn't sound good at all.

wim
  • TwangTwang New

I have a big tone and a Peche. I was a bit rude about the big tone in an earlier post and I regret that. It definitely is still a useful pickup. They are so unobtrusive, no one would ever know that a big tone is installed in your guitar. I can't think of many other pickups that offer that.

I prefer the sound of the big tone in these examples but you really need to have the peche running through a valve amp to bring out its best qualities imo. I'm using a tweed Blues Junior at the moment.

Many thanks Mehran!

Mehran s
  • TwangTwang New

Sometimes reverb can sound good (imo). I have Robin Nolan's first album, I think it's just called Robin Nolan Trio. He has a lot of reverb on his guitar and it gives the album a unique character, kinda cold and haunting.

I also have a Yougui Loeffler (can't remember how to spell it) album. Think it's called Mangio. He plays an unaccompanied solo track called Pour Moi (cool title) and the reverb really contributes to the vibe.

I'm with you Rudolfo, most of the time though.

rudolfochrist
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭

Is it possible for you to give us an audio example Of "Moonflower" piece /Peche+ fender blues j amp ?

mac63000
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

To my ear the pêche sounds thicker and the bigtone is clearer/brighter, but I agree that a pêche would sound better through a tube amp to take advantage of it's qualities. Through the AER it sounds almost a bit synthetic, which is what happens when I play my guitar with the Mateos pickup through an acoustic amp.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited July 2020 Posts: 1,455

This is chalk and cheese! The bigtone sounds awful there, it's all honky like a constipated goose.

The Peche sounds a lot better already, and you're not even doing it justice by using an AER - use it with a tube amp.

Can't understand how anyone could listen to these two samples and think the bigturd is a "warmer and more beautiful sound", I guess it just goes to show how subjective a good sounding setup can be! Also maybe my personal preference again here, but putting that much reverb on either setup is just vile.

rudolfochrist
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭

Dear wim ,You have peche and tube amp so if you can give us an audio example of moonflower piece

• TwangTwang New

Haha Wim "A constipated goose!" I love it but it's a bit harsh! I think with the Peche I immediately zone in the magnetic sound and the AER, which is basically like having a mini PA, does it no favours.

The big tone doesn't sound that bad! Back in the day they were the best thing since slice bread. I have some old (nearly 20 years) Robin Nolan books and in his forward I remember him raving about the big tone.

The big tone doesn't sound that bad! Back in the day they were the best thing since slice bread. I have some old (nearly 20 years) Robin Nolan books and in his forward I remember him raving about the big tone.

In terms of what was available back then, I can't imagine there were a whole lot of piezos for these guitars. So in that regard, they were probably quite innovative. I think for me I'm just not a fan of the piezo sound, so if I'm plugging something in I'd prefer a magnetic sound, even if it takes an acoustic guitar more into the archtop or electric realm. It is ultimately subjective, and I know that other folks love piezos, even on electric solid body guitars.

Twangwim