DjangoBooks.com

Using Compact 60 as “electric” amp with modeler?

Anyone tried using their Compact 60 with some kind of multi effects unit for an electric rig? I heard the Boss GT-1 recently with a Roland JC120 and the amp actually sounded sweet, like a somewhat overdriven tube amp. It wasn’t ultimate tone but it was something I could see actually using on a gig.

I’ve used the AER with my archtop and it sounds really good but not so much with a strat.

Guy

Tagged:

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 4,730

I think it would be good with a modeller effect pedal. With them you want the amp to be as true to source as possible with a full frequency range speaker. If that describes the AER then it's going to sound good. I have the old Roland VG8 and it sounds decent on ZT Lunchbox Acoustic, but only on the microphone input. I'm guessing because the amp is voiced to give the full frequency pass on the microphone input (although the speaker doesn't have the tweeter and it's certainly not a full range speaker) and frequencies are trimmed on the instrument input.

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

My Strat is presently setup with a neck humbucker (Duncan 59) and 12 gauge flatwounds. She sounds great with my Compact 60.

I imagine with stock pickups and slinky strings, I might not like it so well. 😀

mac63000
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

My Strat is presently setup with a neck humbucker (Duncan 59) and 12 gauge flatwounds.

Now that sounds like a fun string experiment!

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I've got the Bugera 60 knock off. Recently I've been running an Ibanez jazz box through a Joyo AC tone pedal, that's basically a Vox emulating pedal. To my ears it sounds really good.

always learning
  • TwangTwang New

I tried using a nocturne junior barnyard pedal with an AER. The plan was to get a more valve like sound from the AER with a magnetic pickup (Peche).

It didn't really work for me but I think others have had more success. This isn't really an answer to your question but thought you might be interested.

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Before doing that, make sure that you have the right pickups.

When the Strat was invented (50's), they came from the factory with 12 gauge flats (12's were considered light gauge strings in those days and contrary to popular knowledge, the Strat was invented to be a jazz guitar) and the pole pieces on the pickups were such that they were balanced with a wound third string. Modern Strats ship with pickups that are set up for an unwound third. Fender's 57/62 pickups work well with a wound third. As do any adjustable humbucker.

mac63000
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

My strat has vintage hand-wound pickups from the fender custom shop (can't recall the year) that are pretty quiet, so they would probably be a decent candidate. But now I'm thinking flatwounds on the Les Paul once I get around to rewiring the electronics...

Sorry to stray from the topic of this forum! To bring it back to the main discussion, anything goes these days with amp modeling, which has come a long way over even the last 5 years. Especially with most gigs haveling PA's these days, you really have a lot of flexibility for the amp setup you choose. I say let your ear guide you to the tone you want and go from there!

I've been messing around with Garageband's abundance of amp models lately to find decent bebop and warm electric jazz tones with my Mateos. Obviously not as good as an amp, but fun nonetheless.

Buco
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault

I bought a Vox StompLab 1G, it sounds good. I could see using it on a gig where I need blues or rock guitar tones. Also it fits in the front pocket of the AER’s case. I’m using it in my little teaching station for my online lessons.

Passacaglia
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Get a Joyo American pedal and you can turn the Compact 60 into a nice crunchy blues machine - think 50's era Fender tweed sounds with nice break-up and overdrive. Relatively inexpensive (~$25 used).

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!