DjangoBooks.com

Record-Playback

Hey guys, what is the easiest way to record a backing track to play against, or a solo of yourself to analyze critically? I see Christiaan Van Hemert on his videos apparently stepping on a switch of some kind to start and stop playback. Anyone know what this is? My goal is to make backing tracks of myself comping to practice against, and to record myself playing against the backing tracks to study. I guess I could just use my phone somehow, but any ideas would be great. Thank you!

peterja

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

It might be some sort of loop station pedal that he uses, which would be pretty convenient. There is also an abundance of backing tracks already on YouTube if you're more focused on the comping and soloing.

Quick and easy way to record if you have a Mac would be GarageBand since it's already loaded, also easy to create loops. There are also a lot of inexpensive USB mics that would be easy to use without buying a separate audio interface. Otherwise for PC I would download Audacity, which is free and very easy to use. Again a mic will be useful if you want better audio but if that's not your goal then laptop mic would work.

• BonesBones Moderator

iPhone???

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited June 2020 Posts: 337

I just go on YouTube. I usually type in some thing like “ Gypsy jazz play along “ with the name of the song. Also using the words ‘backing track’

instead of ‘play along ‘will yield some different results

juanderer

Thanks guys!

• KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P

By far the easiest way is the Izotpoe Spire Studio to record. No cables, no mic, no memory cards, no need to transfer files,... - just one device and your phone. Record a backing track or just a few chords and record multiple tracks over it.

• edited June 2020 Posts: 92

Can you record a track of comping chords and then listen to it while recording your soloing over it? Then both tracks are recorded together?

• AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited June 2020 Posts: 174

Oh man, that Audacity is exactly what I needed! Thank you very much!

mac63000
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

On Audacity, if you record more than one track, you may have to use the "time shifting tool" to avoid a time delay. You can learn about it in the online Audacity manual.

• KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P