DjangoBooks.com

Any Thoughts on How to Restart Live Gigging???

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
edited June 2020 in Repertoire Posts: 140

Like many of you, I am really bummed at seeing the end of live gigs - especially for the many amazing full time musicians among us. It's not just about the loss of money - but also losing connection with audiences and missing that special feeling of bringing joy to others through our music.

I recently drove by the Peet's coffee shop in Redwood City, CA where I used to regularly perform with other gypsy jazzers on weekend afternoons. Tragically, it was shut down as were all the other nearby establishments in what was formerly one of the most vibrant parts of the area.

I really miss playing out, miss hanging with my musician buddies, and miss the warmth of appreciative live audiences.

Any thoughts on how and when we restart live playing again? Food and drink places are starting to open, but I don't see any live playing yet.

Has anybody started to play out yet and, if so, how are you managing it?

Suggestions are much appreciated!!!

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    edited June 2020 Posts: 465

Paul, I suspect that the financial hit that venue owners have taken, along with reduced capacity limitations will preclude live music for quite some time. I do not foresee many gigs this year and if the pandemic lasts into next year, there may not be any gigs in 2021 either.

But by 2022, live music should have a comeback. There will be a slew of new venues opening (in the abandoned spaces of those who will have lost everything I am afraid) and people will want to come out and be social. And musicians will be needed to provide a soundtrack when the time comes.

I fear that all we can do is hurry up and wait. 😎

vanmalmsteen
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 Posts: 867

There is one alternative one can do now and that is set up a social distance concert outside with chairs placed fairly far apart and the band setup similarly which is not too hard. You won't get a large crowd but some people there are better than none and my guess is people will want to see live music if they feel it is safe. People can bring their own food and drink and there will be plenty of space to eat as chairs are far apart. Setting up the logistics and spacing will be initial issues but solvable, if a restaurant can do it so can a band. Tickets purchased online so the band makes something w/o handling money. Having a band member with a fair amount of land will make this more doable.

rudolfochrist
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited June 2020 Posts: 140

Does anyone know if it is legally permissible to play live at an outdoor area next to an establishment the way Scoredog suggests? We're in California - but curious about other states and overseas as well.

If the owner can get busted, it's a non-starter. And I think the law needs to explicitly state that live music under certain conditions which we can follow is allowed. Silence is probably not consent in these times.

Photo from 1917 pandemic in Sonoma, CA.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Paul, I am not sure of the laws but they have shown a band playing on the sidewalk next to an eatery here in Santa Barbara on the news so my uneducated guess is it is doable.