DjangoBooks.com

Help with possible identification of this guitar

I am looking at buying my first Gypsy guitar. Been playing Gypsy style on my archtop for a while and I think it’s time.

here’s some pictures of a guitar for sale at a potentially great price but there’s really no way of knowing who built it. I wanted to put it in front of more experienced eyes to see if I could get any helpful feedback.

the store selling it says it’s spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. Looks like a 12 fret ORchestra to me. Not sure about scale length.

Comments

• TwangTwang New

It’s got a massive crack under the bass side moustache and the diamond volute is not very gypsy. Otherwise it looks nice.

• TwangTwang New

Looks like a proper pliage too so thats a sign of quality

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

Thanks for the feedback. So the crack has apparently been repaired. Would that still detract you buying it?

also, I would imagine the unknown mystery aspect really reduces the ability to resell it down the line?

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

A lot of older guitars (heck, not just old ones for that matter) have had cracks that have been repaired over time. I wouldn't let that detract me from buying a guitar, as long as the crack had been repaired in a professional way.

Michael has had many "Gypsy Mystery" guitars for sale over time, and at least in the demos, they all have sounded great. If I was considering the purchase, I'd at least want to be able to try it out, or have a few days return policy.

In terms of resale value, I am not versed enough to know the impact one way or the other.

• TwangTwang New

you need to play it otherwise it’s just a punt. Which can be fun if you’re prepared for it to be a nail. Do you really want a D hole? Shorter scale, slightly less fret access up top and a wider fingerboard. None of these would put me off though.

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

I really don’t know what I want. I love learning the style of music but have never played a Gypsy guitar. What do people typically purchase for a good first instrument?

I have heard the maccaferri style is a bit easier on the hands and maybe a bit better for balanced tonally, for solo playing.

• KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P

Looks good at first sight. Is it a local shop or an online shop ? Playing the guitar yourself would give you the answer.

Online I would only rely on a trustworthy seller or an official online store and you should be aware of the brand and model you are about to buy. And you should know the specifications. Neck width, scale length, etc... The seller can measure it for you. Those specification Can make a Huge difference ,...

• TwangTwang New

A lot of people start with the ciganos/ gitanes brand. These are much safer buys than taking a punt on that guitar (although it might be amazing) Get some expert advice from people like Michael from this website. He has a good choice of starter instruments I think.

The 12 fret D holes dont have the higher string tension due to shorter scale so maybe dont have the volume/ projection as an 14 fret oval/d hole. So the 14 fret guitars are often more popular and certainly no cheaper.

12 frets poular with rhythm players

14 fret popular with lead/all rounders

• pdgpdg ✭✭

There's no zero fret. Shouldn't make any difference in the sound, but it's not typical.

Interesting that there's absolutely no label inside, or name on the headstock.

You didn't mention the price, so it's hard to compare your options.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault
    edited May 2020 Posts: 73

Looks like this guitar is being sold by a reputable music store, so they probably do repairs. I'd email the seller and ask them to inspect the underside of the top with an LED luthier mirror, usually there's a signature and a date on these Mystery Guitars under the top, although it's not always legible at first glance.

Also, if this is your first gypsy guitar I wouldn't buy this. I'd buy a Dupont Nomade or a Mateos Jazz B. Spending the extra money for an authentic sounding gypsy guitar will give you the sound you want to learn and be excited about practicing.

I have a Zwinakis Gypsy Mystery Guitar for sale in the Classifieds but it has a more modern darker sound with a traditional wider feeling neck, not the snappy sound Django has that a Dupont or Mateos will offer you. Plus a Dupont or Mateos has an ergonomic neck on most their beginner and midrange models which is sweeter on the hands. Best of luck in your search!

mac63000