DjangoBooks.com

Luthier in Minnesota

Hey guys! This might be a longshot, but wondering if any of you might know who is a trusted luthier in Minnesota for Gypsy Jazz Guitars for fret dressing, repair work, refret, etc.? Don't actually need any work done this minute, but it is an unavoidable eventuality as you all know. Thank you! Matthew

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

There are several Twin Cities outfits I have trusted with my instruments. My personal go-to guy is Marty Reynolds, but he's coming off a major health crisis and won't be up to speed for a while. So for a recent job I turned to St. Paul Guitar Repair and was impressed. I've also used Hoffman Guitars, though not since founding builder/repairman Charlie retired. I'm told that his son has taken over the shop. (One of the partners at St. Paul Guitar Repair is a Hoffman alum who remembered me from a years-past visit to the old shop. Good sign.)

I haven't used their repair services, but Willie's American Guitars (also in St. Paul) always has good technicians--and again, they're often people I've run into at other shops (e.g., the late, lamented Podium).

Those are the shops I'm personally familiar with--I'm sure there must be at least one or two others, since I know that there are a couple of classical builders in the area.

matthewkanis

Thank you very much!

By the way, my name is Matthew and I am relatively new to this style but have played jazz for years. I live in Wadena about 3 hours north of the cities. I recently picked up a Dupont Nomade from David at Django Books and am very happy with it. From your comments it seems like you have a lot of experience. Are there jams in Minnesota for this style? Of course not during the virus, but normally? Anyway, thanks for the info it will be very useful.

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

Hi Matt, not many jams in the twin cities but there is a gathering at Eagles 34, I think it happens every 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month but with the Covid it is on hold for now.