DjangoBooks.com

Differences between Gaffiero's and Shopis's?

2»

Comments

Yes keep meaning to say that this Mazaud is the most lush sounding GJ style guitar I played and heard. It's not a traditional sounding instrument by any means and even different sounding than the other modern builds I played. This Mazaud is so rich with overtones, it's through the roof. But boy is it a beautiful voice...

PassacagliaMinorBlues
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

What was the specs on your Shopis? I tracked one down, a 2012 Shopis D'artagnan Favino D-Hole, sitka top with rosewood back and sides, full scale length. If you're interested I'll send you the email.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Thanks Craig, really kind of you to bring it forward. I just bought an Altamira and need to exhaust that for quite awhile, and need to make sure I'm in for a long haul this time. I left playing in disappointment, now that I've dropped expectations we'll see. But I'm a ways out yet. I hope to order within the next year if my playing and commitment earn such a fine instrument.

Beautiful guitar.

CraigHensleyBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    -Paul

• Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Posts: 48

• neebs4964neebs4964 New

Hi, I just saw this and I would like to chime in. It is me who bought your Shopis. I am a friend of Ryan Eckert who hooked me up with you when I was in the market. Since then I have moved to Hawaii, started a band and we play as often as possible on Maui. We host a monthly jam for anyone interested. We have a gig this month (with covid they are few and far between). Last year my band mate, who bought another Shopis, virtually identical to yours, offered to sell it to me and I bought it. Now I have two! I shipped #1 to Rodrigo to service and it came back playing and sounding even better. My band mates noticed the difference right away. The reason I bought #2 is as a backup during the long absence while Rodrigo worked on #1. I will be shipping #2 to Rodrigo this year for service.

Anyway, I am sad to say I won’t sell it back, unless I can finagle Rodrigo to make me another, and unless I can finagle my wife into letting me spend the money on a new one. I assume his prices are not what they used to be. Sure like the looks of the one he made for Amati Schmidt, and also the Homage.

Sounds like you are back in the saddle, glad to hear you are playing. I hope you find your dream guitar and Mahalo Nui Loa for entrusting me with your guitar.

(Pictures: #1 on stand, #2 me playing. Note #2 has a truss rod adjustment on the head.)

BucoMinorBlues
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,471

Hey neebs,

Sorry for the long, long delay in response. Poor health, not doing much of anything as lame as that may sound.

But I just wanted to say how extremely wonderful it was to hear from you here and how really happy it brings me to be, knowing how much you love your guitar and knowing it is being played by someone as well as you. Also really happy to hear you got another from Rodrigo. Such an incredible artisan and kind man. I loved working with him.

Maui. Not bad, my friend! Only been twice to the islands, both as a kid - dual swim meet between the Islands and the mainland. I made the mainland team twice as a kid of 12-13. Magical, both times. Good for you, buddy.

Can I ask that if you get in touch with Ryan, pass my hello and best wishes for me? Helluva player. I’ll never forget our local winter fest when Opus4 was featured. These guys are serious French vets in music, so to be there when one of the guys walks up to Ryan and said in broken English and with a look that can only be described as « damnnnnn boy! », « you’ve got” was pretty damn nice.

All my best wishes and hopes, man. Stay safe and well.

Everyone, I don’t expect to be around, but I want you to know I still think on you. Your friendship and generosity has played a nice chapter for me in this life. Grateful for it all. Happiness and health and good playing, mes amis.

geese_combillyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsJSantaneebs4964
    -Paul

• MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭

Finding this thread a bit late, but I have pretty recent insight on Rodrigos guitars since he just finished one for me (made a separate thread) so thought I'd chime in. I haven't played a Gaffiero or Mazaud though that vieux Paris looks really nice and I'd love to hear some clips of it if anyone's got any.

Similar to what Buco said about the Mazaud, I'd put Rodrigos new Baroette in the "deep and lush" category. Really awesome for playing alone/chord solo and crunchy rhythm. I recorded a short, purposely slow clip the other night just to capture the deep voice and overtones if you're interested to hear. The sound is BIG when directly A/B compared even to my older Dartagnan S (which I still love) and I feel like he's managed to up the game with this one even by his standards. https://youtu.be/cyUgg0_dJRY

BucoVebjørnWillie