DjangoBooks.com

Table-top mini amp

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Classifieds Posts: 339

Anyone experiment with the numerous table-top mini amps? It may seem like strange request, but I think there’s a use for them.

For example, I just picked up the Boss RC-3 looper pedal with the idea of creating practice loops on the spot. I don’t feel like unpacking and setting up my regular gig amp for the sake of both late night volume issues and general hassle. I’m not looking for stellar tone reproduction, just some thing that will take the signal and reproduce the loops at the same volume I’m playing during practice.

I’ve experimented with plugging into the Boss and sending the output signal through a little Kong digital desktop amp modeler/effects box I use with an electric guitar. I take the the line out signal from the Korg box and step down to a quarter inch plug into a small battery powered Bose bluetooth speaker aux port. I imagine a line-out from something like an L R Baggs unit could replace the Korg unit, but I’m just trying to keep it simple.

Although not appropriate—I think—I am imagining something no bigger than a Pignose mini amp.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• stuologystuology New

I've got a Yamaha THR-III with a Line 6 wireless connector and I love it. It's brilliant for electric guitar - rubbish for the gypsy guitar (although there is an acoustic setting). (The wireless doesn't work with the RC-3 though).

• TwangTwang New

I've been using an Rc3 looper into a bluetooth speaker but now use the ireal player app on my phone/ipad into the speaker. advantages are: I can name my chord progressions/songs and find them easier, I can do away with any leads to pedals/amps, I can have a II V I, for example, in my playlist and transpose it instantly without having to re-record it. the only disadvantage to me is the sound quality, in terms of the unrealistic backings, is not great. However, when I'm using it I don't even notice this cos I'm too busy working on my playing. I just want to hear the changes.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

After a lot of research, I went ahead and ordered the Yamaha THR5A. I found that that microphone modeling on the unit will give me another way to shape the sound of whatever pickup I’m using on my guitars. It will serve the purpose of something small that I’ll leave set up with looper attached. I’ll be able to use it with my Yamaha silent guitar to do all of the above through the headphone out, silently. Hell, it even comes with connectivity and studio software to hook up to a computer. I’m also excited about the possibility of using it as a small space quick setup performance amp that may supplant lugging around my relatively light David amp. Some reviews suggest it would be just loud enough.

That said, I think I’m just distracting myself and preparing for long periods shut in during the new reality. In the past two weeks, I’ve purchased a Shure MV88+ recording mic for the iPhone, a second Carlos Sensor pickup, a Boss RC-3 looper pedal, and now this little boutique practice amp, in addition to the food and supplies stores I’ve gathered.

Life is short. Practice and play music now. Wouldn’t it be something if I came out of this a monster player? Might as well woodshed while the woodshedding is good.

BucoAndyWBillDaCostaWilliams