DjangoBooks.com

Godin 5th Avenue

Japanese SandmanJapanese Sandman Ottawa, CanadaNew Cigano D Hole
Hi folks - I am seeking some opinions with this post.

I am 47 year old guitarist that is starting to experience some wear and tear after 37 years of playing and I am getting carpal, sore joints and back etc. I am finding that playing my Cigano GJ15 is real work and by the end of a 3 hour gig my hands are shot. Recently I tried a Godin 5th Avenue archtop (without a pickup) and was impressed by the sound (very sweet and even) and the feel (it is much, much easier to play than my Cigano). It has an old school tone to it and GJ playing sounds good on it. The only problem is that it is not loud enough to duke it out with a GJ15.

I am thinking of buying the 5th Avenue and buying a K&K archtop micing system and then playing all the gigs lightly amplified.

Now my questions: has anyone tried the 5th Avenue (the pure archtop) and what do you think?
WOuld the Godin work in a GJ context?
Is my pllan a road to ruin and disappointment?

Thanks for your feedback.

Rob

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    You can also analyze why the Godin is more comfortable for you and try to find those key things in a gypsy guitar. What is causing you isue? Is it the neck width, finger board radius, body depth, body size, string tension, overall instrument length?

But when it comes down to it if the Godin allows you to play pain free and it sounds good to your ears, why the heck not go for it? You're talking pain here, not just a little physical discomfort. Playing needs to be enjoyable.

If you are worried that other GJ guys won't take you seriously I'd set that thought aside and just play the heck out of it.
    AndyW
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I'm 60, some of the same issues particularly wrists and hands.
    I find that for me the set up is the critical part. I play a Cigano short, Dupont long scale, and an archtop.
    The Dupont has more string tension, slightly higher action, and one simply has to put their left hand out a little further to fret the low frets. For whatever reason, I can play the shorter guitars at will, but the Dupont only for 30 minutes. This is troubling of course, cause the Dupont beats everything for tone.
    I don't know why you'd find one 25.5" guitar increases your playing stamina over another except that the setup is different. Meaning the strings are either heavier or higher or both between your Godin and your Cigano.
    In fact, I'd have guessed it would be the other way round due to the Cigano being a 12 fret and therefore a shorter reach to the frets. Look careful at the setups. On the quieter guitar a guy may set it up higher because you hear more including fret problems. Make sure you've got apples and apples in the setups.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I have a Godin 5th Avenue with an under the saddle K&K pickup and it works just fine for Gypsy Jazz. Easy guitar to play. I use the same K&K pickup with my Favino and the setup sounds fine on both guitars. The Godin has it's own characteristics as does the Favino so accordingly they sound different. As you would expect, the Favino sounds more "Gypsyesque". I also use the small square-shaped K&K "Pure" pre-amp ($94 directly from K&K). I love this little no-nonsense preamp -- it works great. I even use it with my Gibson ES-150CC. I'd say go for it and as HotTinRoof says, playing needs to be enjoyable.

AE
  • Japanese SandmanJapanese Sandman Ottawa, CanadaNew Cigano D Hole
    Thanks for your feedback. Lots to consider but I am leaning toward getting the Godin. Played one again yesterday and it was impressive. I also realize the body shape is attractive because my shoulder (right) was injured and with the Godin there is not a big reach over the body.

Thanks once again.
  • ghouserghouser New

I have a godin 5th avenue acoustic archtop that I have lately used for gypsy jazz. Would using gypsy jazz guitar strings make this guitar sound more gypsy-like?

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I'm not sure the tension would be high enough on the gypsy strings to get great volume from your archtop. Typically those need heavier tension to drive the sound. That being said, I haven't tried this myself.

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

I agree. I have a Godin 5th Avenue, non-cutaway with a single P90. It's a great little guitar with a cool Charlie Christian vibe. However, even with .012s, it is not a powerful acoustic instrument, and the GJ strings would definitely not drive the top enough to get a strong sound.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I have a lot of issues with the tendons from playing so much in my occupation. Often times I just say screw it and play my jazz on the Les Paul. Lol