DjangoBooks.com

A Rare Find With a Selmer Connection (or now it seems, maybe not).

2»

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Trying to imagine what this would sound like. Any examples?

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

A few youtube videos from this player via a link on the Enesa site Chris mentioned in the first post in thread:

it looks better than it sounds, imho ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGq6Lys4ms

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

There is another link on the david.enesa.free.fr website that goes to a French forum for slide and National type guitars. 

http://slide.forumactif.com/t8363-tout-sur-les-resonateurs-beuscher-selmer-c-est-ici

These is a lot more info there, including a scan of the magazine article by Cyril Lefebvre I mentioned earlier and gitboy refers to.

There are also more photos of other Beuscher resonators including some more photos of the restoration of that ‘Jazz’ model with the cutaway that had a pickup added and the YouTube links with a couple of demos referred to by Andy W.

I have been in regular correspondence with some experts in France (I prefer not to name them on here but they are well known) one of whom remembers a meeting with one of the Selmer family (yes, it is still a family owned business) who claimed two years ago that he remembered talk of them having made some metal guitar bodies, and also confirmed Selmer did regularly make parts for other companies not solely Selmer branded instruments. This expert also thinks the tuners with the plain unmarked covers – ie not the Bilardi ones used on some examples - could well have been made by Selmer as apart from the covers they are identical.

Francois Charle was quoted by Cyril Lefebvre as saying the bodies were made by Selmer and although that was a long time ago, he was since given access to the Selmer factory records so I have also written to him but given that there were changes in shapes and designs throughout the years they were in production another source has suggested the bodies could well have been coming from more than one supplier as were the necks and tuners; certainly Beuscher would have had all the contacts.

As to the unique tailpiece, a quick Google search for 'Enesa guitar' showed the same type was fitted to other Enesa guitars. There is a Selmer copy type guitar also by David Enesa as shown in a Vintage Vertigo article about Enesa and Carbonell by Arnaud Legrand and Francois Charle, see scan attached.

None of which explains Beuscher’s use of the SML name on the headstock other than some kind of partnership or joint production deal between Beuscher and the SML saxophone (and woodwind) company.

I will be back with any further news.

Another David Enesa guitar with the same tailpiece.

AndyW
  • segelvsegelv New
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1

Hi

I purchast a Beusher resonator guitar yesterday, found it only 12 km from my home here in Sweden.

its all original and in really good shape.

the neck is slightly bent so the strings is too high for regular finger playing but there is a thrussrod so I have began the ajusting process.

on the back of the top cover there was 75 ingraved, don’t know if that is a serial number?? Anyone who knows?

It has the original spun cone as well.

As gitboy describes Theo Ruiz early builds, my guitar has the curved back and a felt washer under the cone. Haven’t tried it yet so don’t know if it dampens the tone?? will inform you later on.

I cleaned it up yesterday, both inside and outside and I gave it a nice shine, can add more pictures of the guitar later on today.

AndyWBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Nice find. Looks good and similar to mine and it has the same Enesa type tailpiece. But I have never seen or heard of another with a truss rod. Where is the adjustment located? Maybe it is a later modification or even had a different neck added; is there any decal or impressed mark on the headstock?