DjangoBooks.com

faithfully occurring Gypsy Jazz Jam near you?

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
edited February 2020 in Welcome Posts: 243

Here in St. Louis we have had a faithfully occurring Gypsy Jazz jam twice monthly for the last several years, headed by Paul Davis (the man who knows the heads to practically the entire GJ repertoire). I would guess we average about 6-8 players each time.

I'm wondering... How many of you are fortunate enough to have a regularly occurring Gypsy Jazz Jam near you? And if you do, where would that be?

The jams certainly adds spice to my life. If I were ever to move to another city without such, it would be dearly missed.

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

We have a jam every Tuesday night here in Madison. There are anywhere from 4-11 depending on people's schedules. There are about 6 of us who show up regularly almost every week. We are all just regular folks who love playing music, no former/current professionals or very high level players. We are very casual and use charts, play at slower tempos, etc. but we all love it and have lots of fun.

Here's the Facebook group for our Madison group: https://www.facebook.com/madisongypsyjazzjam

Here's the event page for tomorrow's jam: https://www.facebook.com/events/200969224359357/

If you or anyone else is in the Madison area, you are more than welcome to join us!

bohemewarbler
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited August 2021 Posts: 174

We have a group of 4 people meeting almost every week in Calgary Canada. Also casual and fun. https://djangojazzcalgary.wordpress.com/

Ben Dallow
  • JHAnchorsJHAnchors Austin, Texas New Eastman DM-1-CLA

There aren’t any jams around here in the Austin Texas area. None that I know of anyway.

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

I am in Tokyo Japan right now and there are a few sessions a week. It s crazy! They have shops with Gypsy Jazz guitats too and lots of people are teaching it and writing their own method books and stuff. I love it here. The Japanese for the most part don't speak any other language than their own and are kind of in their own bubble with little knowledge of what s going on outside which is why i find this particularly incredible

bohemewarbler
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

Here in Scotland, the Hot club of Glasgow has been meeting weekly for about 11 years.

We've had some quiet nights and some super busy nights, they jams are always musical, educational & enjoyable.

"headed by Paul Davis (the man who knows the heads to practically the entire GJ repertoire)"

That sounds fitting haha. I remember one time when Josh from Caravan guitars in Chicago organized the jam with Adrien M, Paul never reached for charts save for one obscure French tune Adrien pulled on us that had everyone in the room confused. Pretty awesome from Adrien to agree to this, he flew in from France that same day and stayed with us playing the whole evening.

There are two jams in Washington DC area, one in Bethesda inside a church and one in Tacoma Park at the VFW Post. They alternate every Monday. They're usually well attended, mix between home hobbyists and people that play out and gig. Bethesda is a BYOB but TP is even better, has a dive bar with good and cheap beer and whiskey. I don't go as much as I used to but am grateful for it, I've met a lot of my area friends through these jam circles.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

I’m helping organizing a monthly Jam Session in Mannheim, Germany after pausing for a year or so. We’re jamming on stage and usually we have a lot of swing dancers that makes it kind of more fun.

AndyW
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

There used to be a regular jam in New Orleans when Tony Green lived here more permanently. Since he left, there were a couple that fizzled out.

I front a quartet that plays a monthly coffeehouse gig that I’m thinking of partially turning into a jam, but I don’t nearly have the deep history that others here have mentioned.

That said, I’m expanding my contacts as I continue to play and would be happy to jam with anyone who comes to New Orleans. Give me a holler if you come to town.

Hey Chief, I live about an hour out of New Orleans and would like to go see you play at that coffeehouse.

I'm just getting into gypsy jazz.  What coffeehouse do you play at?

• badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL

We have a GJ jam here on Maui, every 3rd Saturday at Rainbow Park in Makawao 2pm.

If you come here on vacation, all are welcome, and if you let us know in advance we can probably even provide an instrument.

bohemewarbler