DjangoBooks.com

BYO: Guitar case foot repair?

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Went downstairs to my basement and found one of the metal case "feet" off of my guitar. No idea how it happened while it was just lying on its side so can only guess that it had been loosened from somewhere previously and just fell off down there.

Anyway, for you builders and tinkerers, any advice on how to repair something like this? The two prongs of the "rivet" thing are still there. Is it salvageable or does it need new hardware? Does this require pulling out the lining of the case to get at it? It is a Superior case that came with my Altamira. Tried looking on the interwebs but didn't find any videos that were showing something similar.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Here are the same photos from previous but in the body of the message not needing to be downloaded.

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Last month I bought an old Gretsch from the 60"s.

All 3 feet were missing....I went to the hardware store and bought 3 of them made out of rubber.Screws included.

Better than the metal ones. And they wont scratch my wooden floor.

Make sure the screws are not tool long. Otherwise they will screw into the guitar..On the other hand it would be more solid..

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

I wonder if you could stick a plastic anchor with a screw instead of the rivet...

AndrewUlle
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

I've been wondering if there is some rubber type or something non=metallic that won't scratch wood floors but I have not done a search for that. Any input welcome. Thanks

mac63000
  • BonesBones Moderator

Thanks Andrew. Yes that looks like it would work. Of course I'd need to be careful that the attachment screw just barely pokes thru the plywood on the case. It looks like the little metal ones on my cases are not screwed on but rather have some sort of barbs that hold them onto the case.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Bones,

I'm guessing the barbs you are talking about are similar to what mine has in the picture. It isn't a rivet but some sort of unique hardware I have little experience. That's why I was hoping someone else might have. Hesitant to use a screw as they back out and for similar reasons as your concern (namely, don't want them to poke through). I like the idea of rubber though. My guess is the metal is designed to help the cases slide against a metal truck bed, etc where rubber would grab and not cooperate. For those of us that keep them in our houses with wood floors and don't routinely toss them around a la "United Breaks Guitars", rubber would be a good option.

I suppose you could slice open the inside lining at the right location and cut/shave off the protruding end. Or use the small bolt and a nut and do the same, you could do it so the bolt head is inside. Looks like some of those rubber feet from the parts express link are threaded, then just go from the inside, tighten, put a few drops of locktite from outside and that should do it.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

I'm thinking drill thru the plywood side of the case and try to figure out exactly how thick it is. Then use a sheet metal screw but carefully file off the sharp tip of it so it is just long enough to go just thru the wood and not poke too far into the lining of the case might work. Yeah I don't like those metal feet sliding around on my wood floor.