DjangoBooks.com

The Ideal Gypsy Jazz Accompaniment Books

tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
edited January 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 36
Here's the First Book:
UnHot! (really cold) Gypsy Licks
20 to 30 neat Gypsy licks played at slow or slow to moderate tempos, only
Really good material played and demonstrated at demo speeds only.
With SLOW accompaniment tracks.

Here's the second book:
"Crawling Through the Gypsy Standards Repertoire"
Ten to twenty really great Gypsy Jazz Standards at slow and slow to moderate tempos - great songs at slow and moderate tempos!

I once heard Joe Pass play "Sweet Georgia Brown" (live) at about 132 or maybe 140. But it was terrific, he really did swing and it sounded great - it had a nice lilt (Ala Grappelli) and everyone listening was blown away!
Tom - the old. slow, sloppy, picker - crawling to get better!
J.T. (Tom) Crammond
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

You might consider downloading a program like Transcribe, which lets you slow the tempo of music without changing the pitch. Then you can use anything you might already have at whatever tempo you like. You can find it here:
    http://www.seventhstring.com/

Have fun,
    Jack.
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    Windows XP comes with a built in sound recorder and you can get a cheap plug in mic for about $5-10 CDN. I am very tempted to but many playalong CDs, but with today's technology it doesn't take long to set yourself up with your own playalongs.
  • tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
    Jack wrote:
    Tom,

You might consider downloading a program like Transcribe, which lets you slow the tempo of music without changing the pitch. Then you can use anything you might already have at whatever tempo you like. You can find it here:
    http://www.seventhstring.com/

Have fun,
    Jack.

What other programs do I need in order to upload some sound files to this forum.
    I guess I need to convert the files to MP3 before I send them??

thanks,
    Tom
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
  • jmwattejmwatte New
    Or if you got windows XP and windows media player 10 you can slow down all your songs... You just can't put in-points or out-points.
    "Amazing slow downer" is something you got to pay for, I use it, and this let's you do all kind of selecting and slowing-down.There are others too.
    If seems Foo bar - a open source media player- has some plug-in that lets you slow down and select pieces of a song.Haven't tried it but it's free.
    Or take any tab you find on Hotclub UK or anywhere else ...

Then take any phrase that's typical for gypsy jazz according to you and that you like. Figure out the notes, fit it on to a picking pattern from the book et voila...Then polish up on intonation,bends...the details, the beat...
    Incorporate it somewhere else : someplace else in the song, in another song, transpose, adapt the phrase to other chord/chord changes...
    You could publish it ,I guess,... if you want a book... :lol:
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
    Windows Media Player will slow an MP3 to 50 %
    without changing the pitch. Start with the full screen mode
    (not the mini player mode) On the menu under "view"
    select "enhancements" then "play speed settings" then "slow"
    Good for MP3s only. It will not slow down a CD.
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Thanks Quadropenta! I don't know how I havn't seen that before. Tomorow when I get some time, you know what I'll be doing. -s