DjangoBooks.com

Paul Mehling Learning Materials

AngelojfAngelojf New
edited August 2011 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 18
With regards to learning how to play and improvise, I'm wondering how Paul Mehling's second volume compares with Stephane Wrembel's book. As a point of reference, I'm not new to guitar, but I am new to the Gypsy style.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• GJFANGJFAN New
    I did not find the second Mehling DVD to useful. He is a fine player but he spends a lot of time in the DVD going over things like hammers and pull offs and basic guitar technique which unless you are a beginner you would probably all ready know. I would have liked more licks. I did use his first DVD on rhythm as an intro to the gypsy jazz rhythm style and thought it was a pretty good guide. He also has a new one out on arpeggios which I have not tried.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Check out the Denis Chang DVDs. They're expensive but worth every penny.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AngelojfAngelojf New
    Thanks guys. Very helpful!
  • GJFANGJFAN New
    Some of the Denis Chang DVD's can now be downloaded online from HyperHip Media which publishes his DVD's. They are about $10 cheaper that way and you save another $10 or so on shipping charges. They are well worth it.
  • Paul MehlingPaul Mehling sf CA✭✭✭
    yes, i do not teach licks. I don't like to hear them and i think jazz is about self-expression and creativity. Why have a teacher tell you WHAT to play, you want to learn HOW to play, right?! www.HotclubSF.com
    Daveyc
  • The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Right!