DjangoBooks.com

1941 Selmer #520

2»

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    this mythical Selmer 500 series thing seems a bit odd, why not the 600 series?
    The 607 is aural sex, where does that fit in
    And a personal observation, if a guitar has a mahogony anything don't buy it, weak and not good sound wood.

Think i'm with denis on this, give me a 90's Dupont anyday
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    redblues wrote:
    And a personal observation, if a guitar has a mahogony anything don't buy it, weak and not good sound wood.
    Don't think I'd agree with that. I've got a 50 year old Castelluccia with mahogany back and sides that has an incredible tone - huge dry volume on rhythm and wonderful vintage sound on lead.
    redblues wrote:
    ... and a 90s Dupont on the way from Michael. I'll let you know if I agree with you on that when it arrives.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    and a 90s Dupont on the way from Michael.

klaatu you must have some inventory at this stage, like Jay Leno and his cars!!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    redblues wrote:
    and a 90s Dupont on the way from Michael.

klaatu you must have some inventory at this stage, like Jay Leno and his cars!!
    Oh, it's puny compared to Michael Bauer's collection, or Denis Chang's for that matter. I've got a Rodrigo Shopis, a vintage Castelluccia, the Dupont (awaiting delivery), and a new Shopis being built for June delivery. Plus a '46 Epiphone Triumph, a '66 Martin D28, and a fabulous plastic Maccaferri (now that's something Michael does not have).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Nothing can top the '58 surely?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Selmer-Novelec ... 35b001b03f

As an aside, I played the Maccaferi on the HCOD's CD cover-its owned by a mate of Fintons-apart from smelling like an old church and looking cool it sounded rough- big let down. 520 sounds great on the vid though.
    8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have played half a dozen Selmers including 520. I have also played half a dozen 90's Duponts including the one I own.

Great guitars all if properly set up.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    redblues wrote:
    this mythical Selmer 500 series thing seems a bit odd, why not the 600 series?

That's because Django, Stochelo, and Fappy all played 500 series Selmers. They were built pre-war and are noticeably different in sound and construction than later models. Also, really, really hard to find as not many survived the war. You see mostly 600 series and above for sale. So these 500s ones tend to get more attention. Not that the later ones don't sound great, but it is a different guitar/sound.

That hasn't been my experience....had many amazing mahogany guitars come through here. This one is just a cannon!

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... -2010.html

Yes, very nice!
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    It's interesting that #520 is described as being both less loud and warmer than the typical Selmer. That's exactly what I would expect a Selmer with solid mahogany b&s to sound like. I think laminated back/sides in general increase attack and overall volume/punchiness at the expense of sustain and warmth.

The clip of Michael playing 520 really does sound great...tonally, it has that 503 magic...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    sockeye wrote:
    It's interesting that #520 is described as being both less loud and warmer than the typical Selmer. That's exactly what I would expect a Selmer with solid mahogany b&s to sound like. I think laminated back/sides in general increase attack and overall volume/punchiness at the expense of sustain and warmth.

The clip of Michael playing 520 really does sound great...tonally, it has that 503 magic...

Could be...but I'd say it has way more to do with the top (which is radically different than later models) and the lack of a 5th brace.

Generally, I think too much focus is put on back and sides materials. The top makes a much bigger difference as that is the "engine" so to speak. The back and sides just add a little tonal flavor and looks....