DjangoBooks.com

D'Addario Strings

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
Anyone tried the D'Addario strings that Michael is now selling? How do they compare to Galli strings (my current favorite)?

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I haven't tried the D'addarios but I really like Martin Marquis silk and steels. I bought a dozen sets for $5 each. These are Wawau Adler's choice.

http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/dis ... display=24

To my ears they sound as good or better than Gallis V/27's and are the ultimate gig string, just put them on a day before the concert (Or even at soundcheck!) and they'll sound great and keep their tuning by showtime. More mellow than Argies.
    Downside is that they don't last long... With heavy playing I get a week out of them, the low E goes dead. But at five bucks a pack is not too bad, Argentines last me 3 weeks tops and I don't like their tone much for the first few days.

It'd be great if the Djangobooks store would start selling them... Definitely worth trying.
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I've got a D'Addario set on the 255 right now actually. First, they feel more like...well...D'addarios, than say, Argies, or the Pearse; stiffer,less "give". I'm guessing it's because of the Hex cores on the wound strings. They can sound kinda metallic as they die and loose their tuning. Fresh though, they're actually not that bad. The last set of Argies I had on were dead as doornails, and really brash ( every other set I've put on were fantastic btw) and I had a few Daddario sets lying around as backup till the next Argentine order from Mr Horowitz arrived. The last two sets I've used were suprisingly enjoyable; decent tone, held tuning,not at all harsh. I actually don't mind em' when I've got the time for extended practicing and am putting in alot of hours, they hold up pretty well; not ideal tone, but what's there is pretty consistent. Given their harder feel, they don't dent-up anywhere near more traditional sets either. But when they go....they really go.
    The few times I've had em on when jamming or doing small coffee shop stuff, they got really harsh and not really musical when you lay into the strings with a 3.5mm Wedgen at those volumes. Especially playing chords.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Thanks for your input guys.
  • hotclubdebramptonhotclubdebrampton Brampton, Ontario - Canada✭✭
    After years of being an Argentine's user, i decided to try these D'addarios yesterday, as they appeared on my local music store.
    Won't say that they are better or worse than the argies, but they contributed to produce a nice, not too bright, sound out of my JJ Dg300.
    Granted, it has a shiny upgraded bridge and I kept the high E and B argies (11s set) together with the D'addarios G to low E (10s set)
    I am liking this setup for now :)