DjangoBooks.com

DYN-G with Acoustic Image amp

Anyone have any experience with this combo? :?: I've been using mine for a while; but am not thrilled with the tone. Have tried several pre-amps; none seem to give me the acoustic tone I want. The Acoustic Image amp is very transparent; does well with most other input sources. Am thinking of trying the PRE AII with it... or I just may hold out for a UNICO amp... and trade in the Acoustic Image (I have the Coda R model).

BTW: my main guitar is Dunn's "the Scream" (see the bottom of his 'gallery'. It 's a Mystery Pacific model (w/ the resonator box)... and has very dark tone (cedar top, ebony sides, birdseye maple /blackwood back).

Any info on your experiences w/ any combination of this gear is appreciated...
in NewEngland the MinorSwing lives
when there you email; invitation gives
see our jazz; hear our collection
"I Awake" has; worship here no exception.

Comments

• Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    I work with a bass player who has an acoustic image amp. I tired out a couple of my guitars with it: a 30's Epiphone Broadway with a pick up the world archtop pickup, a 40's epiphone spartan with K&K archtop pickup and fishman bridge pickup, and a gitane D-500 with a schatten pickup. For all three I was pretty impressed with the sound. We do a lot of gigs where he plays through one channel, and we use the other channel for a vocal mic. It also sounds *great * for vocals, which I think is a good indication of its potential for acoustic instruments. I have never used a dyn-g. I know a lot of people swear by them, but to ber honest I have never heard one sound very natural except at very low volumes.
  • joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    Anyone have any experience with this combo? :?: I've been using mine for a while; but am not thrilled with the tone. Have tried several pre-amps; none seem to give me the acoustic tone I want.
    BTW: my main guitar is Dunn's "the Scream" (see the bottom of his 'gallery'. It 's a Mystery Pacific model (w/ the resonator box)... and has very dark tone (cedar top, ebony sides, birdseye maple /blackwood back).

If you've got a Dunn Mystery Pacific then you'll not get the acoustic tone with a pickup. Michael's gone to the trouble of designing a guitar with an internal chamber to even up the response and a reflector to project the sound out of the soundhole. Everything is tuned to give an acoustic sound that projects in front of the guitar. Use a condenser microphone such as an AKG 451 (ie on a stand). That works great with an acoustic amp ( I use a schertler David ) for small gigs or any PA for larger ones. I get many compliments on the sound of the guitar with this setup .

regards

Joe