DjangoBooks.com

django and edith piaf ?

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    It sounds a lot like Django at certain times, but it's hard to tell if it's him. It could be an emulator.

The only info on the web about that recording is that it's "Edith Piaf et Orchestre Jacques Métehen".

If it's Django then it's a great discovery!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

here is a song where I heard django today. Happy lisening
    It's not Django. :(:cry:
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    The guitarist on "La Julie Jolie" is Matelot Ferret. There were four tunes recorded at the session - this one, "Va Danser", "La Chance", and "Fais Moi Valser". Certainly Django knew Piaf, but there is no evidence that they ever recorded together. Django did not record with singers - at least not often - after the 1930s. That work went to Matelot Ferret (lots of recordings with singers) and Henri Crolla (also recorded with Piaf), and a handful of others.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I guessed it was one of the Ferrets but I could not tell whether it was Matelot or Sarane.

Once he became known as a jazz musician, I think the only singer Django really enjoyed playing/recording with was Beryl Davis.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi an update because while reading about Paris under German occupation, I found mention of a collaboration between Norbert Glanzberg and Django Reinhardt. And based on other research, all biographies of Glnazberg mentioned that while I didnt see that in Djangos.
    It is said that they played together in the same bands in parisian cabarets during the 30s and they were together when Piaf officially performed for the first time.
    If this is true, it would explain why Django and Piaf are close.

FYI Glanzberg is a composer (Padam, Mon Manege a moi, Les Grands Boulevards etc.)
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    After reading the Piaf biography by Carolyn Burke I contacted her after reading a section where she said that Django and Edith played together. However she replied that they were on the same bill at a Montparnasse cabaret. So their paths obviously crossed but no evidence that they actually performed together.
    always learning
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    In 'No regrets', Carolyn Burke also wrote that Jo Privat played with Edith Piaf, when they were young, a fact that strangely was never mentionned by Jo Privat or hi biographers. I remember having seen pages written by Carolyn Burke with at least 2 or 3 details in complete contradiction with everything ever written in the other biographies of Django, Piaf or Privat. I personnally believe that she has a lot of imagination and and tends to make a full story from a small detail.
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    I am sure Django banged her more then a few times.
    ChrisMartin
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Insightful!
    ChrisMartinFrançois RAVEZ
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    Thank you.
    vanmalmsteen