DjangoBooks.com

Suggestions on Improvising

Comments

• edited May 2010 Posts: 3,707
    Yes I have met Don through Michael.

Michael and Don were doing a GJ gig in Van for years but have branched out into pretty much their own thing over the last year or so. When I picked up my new guitar from Michael in January he had just finsihed a Harp guitar that he built to use with the material he and Don have written. Eclectic mix that duet.; :lol::lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Great.

BTW, I too bought a Michael Dunn guitar a few years ago, mostly due to Don's recommendation. I played rhythm guitar on an Alaska cruise ship the summer of 1999 in a strolling trio with Don and a violin player I know here in the Niagara area.

But I have yet to meet Michael Dunn. Of course we corresponded a lot during the period he was making my guitar.

And oh yeah, Victoria--- what a lovely town!

However, Niagara-On-The-Lake ain't so bad, neither.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Very pretty back there indeed.
    Hey, Musette,

If Jazzaferri and I haven't lost you by now with all our north-of-the-border chat, I just wanted to say that if, in the course of taking your Lessons From Django, you should wish to slow down any of the Master's handiwork to half or 3/4 speed, I can teach you how to do that, assuming two conditions---

........1) that you're a Mac user like me ('cause I don't do Windows)

........2) that you're willing to go out and spend about 40 bucks on a little doodad called an "iMic".

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • I am intrigued sir .... the exchequer can support a $40.00 expenditure

I am bidding a Soprano Sax right now and a DPA mic so I will just be broker :oops: more broke or have less money to blow in NOLA next weekend so fire away.

Why Soprano someone might ask .... 'cause I find it too hard to transpose so many of the GJ songs to my Eb Alto. Most of them lay out much better on a Bb and I am too old and feeble to play Tenor anymore :lol::lol:

Reflecting on the other thread ... some funny lyrics might go for a chorus in Gurgo :shock: the worst they can do is hang draw and quarter me
    OK, give me a day or so and I'll be back with some instructions for how to record and then slow down your fave licks easily and effectively. It's taken me a few months to master, but I've become getting better at it.

BTW, I assume that your mac came loaded with some free programs called "GarageBand" "iTunes" and "Quicktime Player", none of which you have erased off your hard drive over the years since you got it?

If so, better go find your grey system disks to reload those programs--- or maybe go to the free Apple downloads website to get them there.

By the way, "QuickTime Player" is a free dumbed-down version of "QuickTime", which also costs $40, but I'm too cheap to pay for it, even though I believe it might make the entire recording process a bit easier. The $40 version lets you actually record stuff, while the free version only lets you play back stuff.

So you might want to buy "QuickTime" at the same time you buy your iMic... once you see how to do it my way (recording Django CD tracks using "GarageBand") you'll quickly understand how to do the exact same thing using "QuickTime".

The one advantage of using "GarageBand" is that it allows you to create iTune files which can be set up to loop endlessly while you practise that difficult lick over and over and over again.... "QuickTime" files can't do that, to the best of my knowledge, so you have to put down your guitar and manually press "play" when your little playback loop ends.

• MusetteMusette New
    I'm a Windows user, but i'm quite happy using Amazing Slowdowner and you can also loop any section you want with it. I find it extremely easy to use.
    Yeah, I had another fella in the "recording" section say that he was real happy with his Amazing Slowdowner too.

One desirable feature would be if you could share files with fellow GJ lovers... do you know if that is possible?

• MusetteMusette New
    Hm, i don't think so.
    Maybe i could record the loops and upload them here but i don't see any other way to share that material.
    Or you could download AS , the free trial version only allows the first 30 seconds or 1/4 of the song thugh.
    Yeah, I had another fella in the "recording" section say that he was real happy with his Amazing Slowdowner too.

One desirable feature would be if you could share files with fellow GJ lovers... do you know if that is possible?