DjangoBooks.com

Songe d'Automne (September Song)

BonesBones Moderator
edited September 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 3,319
Does anyone have a link to the lead sheet for this one?

Thanks

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    those are 2 different songs...which one do you mean?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Here are both...enjoy!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Jack,

I thought they were the same song (at least that's what it said on Djangopedia).

Cool, where did you get these? Is there a link to a web page?

Thanks!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    BTW, on Bireli Gypsy Project and Friends it sounds like the solos are over the 'E' section only. Is that the arrangement that most people use?

thx
    It may have been released with that name, but the September Song we know and love is a Kurt Weill tune written for a Broadway musical:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Song

I'd have to go listen to some arrangements to answer that other one, but rehearsal is about to start...

by the way, PM your email and I'll get you some charts...
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    They are not the same song at all. The confusion probably has come from words that look similar (song-songe), but mean completely different thing. I don't know if the title Songe d'automne has ever been translated into English (the composer A. Joyce was English), but it would be something like Dream of Autumn. And yes, the solos are commonly played to the last section only (E). For most versions I've heard the simpler chords (above the staff) are preferred over the "Autumn Leaves"-changes.

Jack,

The half bar Eb7 in the second bar of September Song is a bit strange. I'd play the whole bar as C-minor (min6 or min7) or Cm7-F7 like the bebop-guys. So the A-section would start
    |C7 |Cm |G...
    I actually haven't even looked at that chart...just happened to have it on my computer. I can imagine hearing it either way, though the Cm would certainly be a safer choice. Eb7 does give you some cool leading tones, though.
  • We play this one and while it is just a personal thing ... I really love the way the Eb leads the change ....IMO works very well with the melody line.... 8)
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Here's a transcription of Bireli's chorus.

Oops sorry, page 2 is listed first. My bad.