DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Nomad or Gallato?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    To my ear, the old Gallatos and the newer Mateos guitars are darker sounding than a Dupont with a very warm rich tone.

Interesting...I had the exact opposite experience with the old Mateos built Gallatos. They were unbelievably bright with almost no lows and few mids. Kind of refreshing since at that time Asian guitars were the only other option and they were overly bass heavy. By comparison Duponts were far more balanced with a lot more mids and a much more traditional dry sound.

I've played about a half a dozen of the old Gallatos and they were all like that. The newer Mateos and Gallatos guitars are very different so maybe you played one of those? Or maybe you played a rare dark sounding one....

'm
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    Hey Michael, I defer to your wisdom on this one. My experience is very limited (which is why I'm bummed I can't make it to the guitar demo at Django in June). I have played 2 Mateos guitars, and Gonzalo's Gallato, which he says is very special, indeed. The Mateos ones sounded a great deal like Gonzalo's...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Musette wrote:
    Romane who uses Duponts has very nice mids and highs, Tchavolo who used G. Mateos has great trebly mids and lows, Angelo who used Gallato/Mateos has thin highs...
    I wish i could afford an MD-50 or at least MD-100.

As a rule of thumb, don't believe the sound you hear coming out from a guy like Tchavolo has much to do with the guitar he's playing. He've heard him playing Anastasio, Favino, Dupont, Gallato and even a Rudy Larna and the result is always the same: Tchavolo!

P.S:

Debarre's highs are more associated with his Anastasio's period than Gallato's (although rumors are he played his Anastasio even in records he wasnt supposed to...)
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....Since a couple posters have referenced Geronimo Mateos, I'll add this info.
    .....One of my guitar buddies a month ago received his new G. Mateos "D" hole, cedar top from the luthier. It has a totally different tonal quality than his '05 G. Mateos Petite Bouche (built shortly after Mateos broke with Gallato music co. in Paris) Selmer style which is very close to the Selmer sound.
    .....This new "D" hole shape is smaller in diameter, has some of the low end emphasis that "D" holes are known for, has alot of top arch and is more subtle in tone than the '05 model. It is a fairly light weight construction, is beautiful and has a "less aggressive" tone than the '05. Not quite as "bright" or quick to attack the note; but, it has a distinctive "character" and sounds very good both on rhythm and lead. It's not a traditional "Selmer" tone, but something different that I like! I have played it three times and am still forming an overall opinion on the specifics. But, my band mate makes it sound very good!
    .....Rocky
  • MusetteMusette New
    edited June 2010 Posts: 96
    Debarre's highs are more associated with his Anastasio's period than Gallato's (although rumors are he played his Anastasio even in records he wasnt supposed to...

HMMM, that cheating bastard!haha just kiddin'.

But you are 100% right, the player's technique and strength is the most influential factor in his tone.
    The bolt on neck saves some money but has no effect on sound or playability.

Absolutely true.

My brother, a luthier in Michigan, told me years ago that all of the "high-end" luthiers he does business with all agree that the choice between a dove-tail or bolt-on neck has no impact on sound, it's a matter of practicality and aesthetics. I have guitars with both and love then all.

There is the obvious benefit of a bolt-on neck. The inevitable (even if not in your lifetime) need for a neck reset. It's gonna happen eventually and the bolt-on neck is a bit money and time saver.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    You're probably right, so let's put it this way: I will play a Gypsy Guitar with a bolt-on neck when I'll have bolt-on testicles... :D
  • MusetteMusette New
    frater wrote:
    You're probably right, so let's put it this way: I will play a Gypsy Guitar with a bolt-on neck when I'll have bolt-on testicles... :D

hmmm so you don't really recommend me to buy the Dupont Nomade???
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hmmm... Don't know... Frater seems to suggest that glued-on testicles are better...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Not sure about that: bolt on could be really handy in many ways (for example one could detach them while watching a 3 hours long Kiarostami's movie) :)