DjangoBooks.com

Down in Town - Bireli Lagrene

Captain SwingCaptain Swing U.K.New
edited December 2009 in Welcome Posts: 47
Hard to find Bireli album from 1983(?)

Down in Town. (Antilles AN1019) Never been released on CD as far as i know.

2624880.jpg

Mitta
Berga
Melodie Au Crepuscule
Down In Town
Paris
Reinsburgstrausse
Diminushing Blackness
Rue De Pierre
Zum Trotz
I Can't Get Started

Have transferred it from a cassette which Ian Cruickshank kindly did for me about a 100 years ago, so it's not CD quality, but it's still pretty good. :)

Download Rar File from Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/298402069/Down_in_Town.rar

Also, here are a few extra tracks.
Three of these feature Bireli on an album called "Django's Music", with Bob Wilbur, & Mike Peters. Bireli plays mostly just rhythm on the entire album, apart from Djangology, Micro, & Nuit de St Germain des Pres. Checkout the completely self accompanied version of Micro 8)

Also included are 3 live tracks from UK radio, in 1984. (Topsy, Reinsburgstrausse, & Minor Swing.)
Download the zip file from RapidShare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/298421385/Bireli.rar

Enjoy! :)

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Thanks for posting this
  • Captain SwingCaptain Swing U.K.New
    Thanks for posting this

You're welcome. :)
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    You are a star-thats some serious stuff on micro. Don't know why that is'nt available on import or something, its swingin baby 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    Very cool stuff a ton of thanks...though that Rapid share thing is a bit of a pain
    Some more Bireli stuff originally broadcast on tv, here:
    (not available to buy on dvd afaik)

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5574

I did post the links in its own thread, but it appears to have been deleted(?) without any explanation.

French friends can also find it here:

http://www.manoucheries.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15590&start=180
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I noticed the links this morning, but didn't check them out. Is it the same concert found here on Google video?
    Also stumbled across this Gypsy Project concert at an American music school, complete with awkward Q&A with Bireli starting at the 55:00 mark..."well, like I said, I wish I could explain more, to you, this kind of music...but obviously, I can't."
    Jack wrote:
    Hmm...I noticed the links this morning, but didn't check them out. Is it the same concert found here on Google video?

That looks like the second of the two shows to me.
    Although the videos on the links are considerably higher quality than flv. :wink:
    As an aside, I never realized what a treasure trove Google video can be...tons of concerts, etc., but the greatest part is that it makes downloading them so easy--one click and they're ready to go on my phone, perfect for waiting rooms, car rides, church...
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Jack,

Yeah, along with YouTube, those have been great resources for me. There's not a lot of gypsy jazz in my area, so I really get my kicks from these kinds of videos. It's not like being at a jam or campsite, but it's one good way to check out some very good, and great players. I've learned a lot from watching others play, and hopefully, one day I'll get some others around here interested in playing this music.