DjangoBooks.com

Fapy Lafertin

harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 105
Anyone know what's the best Fapy Lafertin CD to get? Thanks.

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    quite simply: you can't go wrong with any Fapy recording!
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    got to agree with phil, but if you're looking for a particular recommendation i'm gonna say swing guitars from 1994.

I think between the old school production and fapy's playing which sounds about as close to django as anyone i've ever heard, you could almost be forgiven for thinking you're listen to the QHCF at times on this album. there's a great version of to each his own and the band really swings. it's definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

or alternatively the album hungaria, from around the same time and just as good really. as phil said you can't go wrong.
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Just my two centavos, but, do seek out Fleur de Lavande it's out of print but worth the search, as is Odedjovia (sp?) an excellent album he did with his uncle Bamboula Ferret. PM me and I'll hook you up.
    Best, Rick
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
    Here's a discography for Fapy:

• Fine & Dandy - 2003
    • Fleur d’ennui - 2001
    • Star Eyes - 2000
    • Hungaria - 1996
    • Swing Guitars - 1994
    • Aurore - 1993
    • Fleur De Lavende – 1991
    • Fapology - 1988
    • Hot Club Quartet - 1986
    • Waso: "Gipsy Swing Vol.5" - 1983
    • Waso: "Live In Laren" - 1980
    • Waso: "Gipsy Swing" - 1979
    • Waso: "Live at Gringo's" -1976

Many are out of print, but as mentioned, well worth searching out, as all are excellent!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Haha... what a coincidence. I have been listening to Fapy's Fleur de Lavende in the shop and loving it so much I just thought I'd randomly post it online. I hardly ever do that.

I like a lot of Fapy's work - but really like this one - particularly Begin the Beguine & Reverie. Reverie is as close to a tone-poem for the Selmer guitar as I've heard. It's like Fapy giving thanks for its creation. He prowls around the boundaries of the unique tone of a Selmer and with great care and passion dwells on each one to bring it out. He does a few songs on other instruments too - other traditional gypsy stringed instruments.

...and Aurore is certainly a classic. I remember talking w/ Simon Planting about albums he loves and this was one of them - he said: "Ah - Great memories and the album turned out so well - we were all so happy about it."
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • PaganiniPaganini New
    The 4 Waso albums are the best he ever recorded. the combination of Koen de Cauter en Fapy Lafertin is fantastic. The ambiance is so warm on these recordings you can hardly find that today anymore. Get those records if you can! On one of them he plays this brilliant valse de bamboula about 1/10 of the speed of how it is mostly played today :D
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Haha... what a coincidence. I have been listening to He does a few songs on other instruments too - other traditional gypsy stringed instruments.
    /quote]

I love Fleur de Lavende as a tune and as a cd--i'm surprised more people don't cover the tune with its really nice modulation to Amin--gives a real lift to the impro.
    Incidentally the 'Valse Argentine' Fapy plays is not traditional but is actually a brazilian valsa "Desvairada" composed by the brasilian guitar genius Garoto.
    I believe its a portuguese guitarra that Fapy plays on the other tunes--not really a gypsy instrument per se but works very nicely in the context.
    I was lucky enough to see Fapy many times in the early eighties--great gigs with blind monster jazz pianist Eddie Thompson and others with canadian pianist Oliver Jones--i just wish i could have filmed them!!
    Stu
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Phil wrote:
    quite simply: you can't go wrong with any Fapy recording!
    f**k yeah!
    Does anyone happen to remember which album Fapy made for his family? I remember hearing the name of it I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

Sam