DjangoBooks.com

First time you discovered this music...

123457»

Comments

Incidentally I "discovered" Dawg Grisman at a bar in a Canaan Valley WV during ski trip where they played a lot his jazz recordings and I recognized more than a few Django tunes. It was in this context that I started listening to him a lot more since.

lostjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino

Seeing the wonderful Australian (now living in England) guitarist Caley Groves' and his Dad's band Duck Musique playing in a cafe here in Melbourne entirely by chance and completely acousticaly. I was hooked. He is entirely to thank/blame. Great player. Great guy. Gave me a passion for this music, and through it, years of gigs. Love that guy. Also another wonderful guitarist here Paul McIver who told me about all the big names in the style and hosted a regular jam. Beautiful , generous people like almost everyone involved. Check these guys out.

BucowimBones
  • BonesBones Moderator

Oh yeah I remember Grisman and the "Dawg" style. That's also pretty fun. Different key and form. Rhythm is pretty different more 'americanized' if you want to think of it that way. Personally not my cup of tea but kinda cool.

Buco
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01

Buco, being from WV, I have skied at Canaan Valley many times. Hope I didn’t cut you off on the slopes

Well actually during that occasion while at the bar I had a beer with John from WV. The guy even bought me a beer before heading back to the slopes. Now if that was you that would be one hell of a story to tell!

Buco, the bar didn’t happen to be The Purple Fiddle in Thomas, did it?

Ah but no, it was at the slopeside bar, forgot the name. But somebody I was talking to on the chair said I should go to the Purple Fiddle. So when the time comes lets have a beer there, shell we?

Most definitely. Let me know when you’re coming to town 🍺👍

Buco

By the way, my last name is Cruikshank. No relation to Ian, though (to my knowledge)