DjangoBooks.com

K&K pure floating bridge modified install + quick review

2»

Comments

I'm glad it helped! Sometimes I menage to think outside of a box, not always but sometimes.

PS starting a GJ class session at Old Town School tonight, whoohoo!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    I was messing around with with K&K this morning and came up with another way to make it work; recycle those wine corks. Cut one side flat and cover the element just behind the bridge. If needed make a notch for strings in case the cork is lifting up the strings off the bridge.
    Acoustically I didn't notice any difference in sound and amplified it did it's job.
    Take it out when not needed.

Buco
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,741
    K&K decided to turn the idea I had back in '09 :p into a product
    https://kksound.com/products/puremaccaferrixt.php#simple2
    r1mi8l8yjr31.jpg
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited April 2019 Posts: 476
    I had the same problem. I called Dieter (Mr K&K) and asked if I couldn't just cut the vinyl away. He said "of course you can". It comes off easy. What's left is about 1/2mm of metal (brass?). Problem solved as far as I can tell.
    Of course you don't cut the "bubble" of black glue through which the wires run. Just the textured vinyl (or whatever it is).
    Why the "vinyl" is there to begin with is a mystery to me as I didn't even ask. It just seemed to dull the sound and provided very little structurally to that area. I've done this to at least 5 of these pickups, and no problems physically and no noticeable sound change with the thin metal between top and bridge compared to nothing at all.
    Also, it is so thin that your not very tempted to adjust the action as it is barely noticeable.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Yes I remember thinking "I wonder if I could..." about what you described.
    I sold mine since. But wondering how's the new Definity. I'd probably still try to wedge it under the arch of the bridge haha.