DjangoBooks.com

bei dir war es immer so schon

ClayClay Tulsa, OkNew
edited March 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 50
Does anyone have the chart for this? The only time ive heard it is off birelis gypsy project and friends album with just him and a rhythm guitar and its beautiful , anyone have a clue?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    This was posted a couple of years ago on the Hot Club site:

Try this for the chords. The melody is very easy to work out yourself:-

Cmaj7/ F9/ Bm7/ A#7dim/ Am7/ D7/ G/ G7/
    Cmaj7/ F9/ Bm7/ A#7dim/ Am7/ D7/ A#7/ E7/
    Am/ D7/ G/ G/ Am/ B7/ Em/ G9 B7/
    Repeat first line

If you'd like to read the whole discussion:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489

I seem to recall seeing a full chart in an old book of sheet music at the local library...it might be a good place to start for you.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Sometimes you find this tune also recorded under its romanes title "Pasch tutte", for example by Rigo Winterstein Swingtet.

Best

Barengero
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This is a great tune....and the best version I've ever heard was by Jimmy Rosenberg on the Live in NY CD...see below.

I was living with Robin Nolan when I first heard that CD. We just kept playing bei dir war es immer so schon over and over. It's one of the best ballad performances I've ever heard by anyone! Funny, because Jimmy is known for all the speedy licks, but he shows on this that he really has some immense depth to his playing as well.

I think I'm going to put this on right now!

'm

jimmy_birdland.jpeg

Jimmy Rosenberg, Biréli Lagrène, Babik Reinhardt, Bucky Pizzarelli, Frank Vignola, Florin Niculescu: Django Reinhardt NY Festival: Live at Birdland
    edited July 2005 Posts: 527
    This is a great tune....and the best version I've ever heard was by Jimmy Rosenberg on the Live in NY CD...see below.

Hi Michael,

thank you for pointing this out. To be honest - I heard that album only two or three times because I always get annoyed when I only hear the opening tune. Too much hectic!

But you are right,I just heard "Bei Dir war es immer so schön" on that album again and it is really beautiful!!

I have some obscure vocal versions of that song (Sari barabas, Vico Torriani, Schnecko Mettbach) and I love this tune very much.

Best,

Barengero
    Just going through old posts, thought I'd add this:
    beidirwar.gif

Best,
    Jack.
    dennis wrote:
    pasch tutte means "sit down" in gypsy for the curious... it's usually an order to pets (ie dogs)

Hi Dennis,

I think first of all "Pasch Tutte" is an accurate translation of the first two german original lyric words "Bei Dir". But it makes sense to say "Pasch tutte" to a dog, what in this case means something like "stay at your place"

Best,
    Barengero
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I'm not at home right now so I can't look in my reference books, but wasn't Theo Mackeben the orchestra leader who headed the pit band for the original production of "Die Dreigroschenoper" ("Threepenny Opera")?
    You got it...notes from a '90 release:

Though no original cast recording was made of the first production of Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera in Germany in 1928, four members of the original cast -- Lotte Lenya, Kurt Gerron, Erich Ponto, and Erika Helmke -- joined by Willi Trenk-Trebitsch from the original Prague cast and the Lewis Ruth Band conducted by Theo Mackeben (who had provided the instrumental accompaniment to the first production) came together in a German recording studio on December 7, 1930, and cut 13 selections from the score, which were released initially as a four-disc 78 rpm set.

Best,
    Jack.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    The Lagrene recording is one of my all time favorites. Attached is a loose transcription. Sorry if it's tough to read as I know it's quite sloppy. Hope it comes to some kind of use & enjoyment.

Since no one we know can pronounce the title we changed it ( or rather someone coined it) as "With you it was always so lovely." sorry if this offends anybody, we were attempting to make a fitting name for such an enchanting song.

Does anyone have a better translation for the title? 'Sit down' seems a bit harsh.

Also, is there a way someone could post a bit of jimmy's recording here for a enjoyment? I unfortunately lost that album but I would love to get a taste of jimmy's recording. Thanks in advance
  • andyandy New
    Wow, WowBowWow. Love this tune. Thanks for doing that.

Andy