DjangoBooks.com

14 fret D hole bracing/sound?

Hi, I think I'm going to purchase a Nomade Macca and was looking through the Francois Charle story of selmer, mac book last night at the plans.
Does anyone know how these guitars are braced. Just out of curiosity,, I know these guitars are effectively hybrids to a certain degree and I think the bracing will have to be different.
How does this change the sound?
Is the neck angle and pliage still similar to 14 fret oval holes?
What do these 14 fret d holes sound like/ characteristics?
I'm looking at this guitar because I need something to cut through in Jams with the higher access to frets but I also play a good deal of rhythm and it's something I'm doing more and more. An all rounder for the amount of cash I have to spend is my thinking.
I seen Jorgenson the other night and he was playing his oval hole.
I asked him about that, he was using his 14 fret D hole for a while but he says he keeps coming back to the oval. Great if you have the luxury of having any guitar you want, yes!
I will be able to get my hands on the robin nolan model soon too from time to time so I like the idea of the D hole.
Cheers.

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    As I understand the 14 fret d hole is just like an oval except the first brace has to be moved back because of the larger soundhole.

The ones I tried are more "open" sounding are often have a little more bass response but not always, mine for example is a 14fretter d hole and has extreme highs, almost no mids, a hollow bass and doesn't have that compressed sound the ovals have.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I'm sure you'll be pleased with a Nomade Oval or D.

If you want more bass consider a 12 fretter or a Favino style.
    Busatos (Or a Dupont Busato) are famous for both cutting highs and deep basses.

Anyway try to find somewhere to try a few examples of the same model guitar be it oval, D hole, Selmer, Favino or Busato style, that way you can pick the one that best suits your needs. Two guitars of the same model can vary substantially.