DjangoBooks.com

Bousquet

AmpsmasherAmpsmasher Oakland, California✭✭✭ Christelle Caillot
edited October 2010 in History Posts: 51
I was wondering if any one knew any history of bousquet??
thx
jim

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    The Impossible to find Hommage a Django Par Bousquet is for sale on E-Bay starting at $199.00
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Hommage a Django is not impossible to find and comes up on ebay relatively frequently for WAY LESS than $199
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    the last I saw was $44 I think, now if it was VG++ or NM condition, then it would be worth $199 and I would be the first one to pay the price.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Given that I have seen NM copies go on ebay for $30-$40 I would advise you all not to pay $199.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Just One word for Bousquet....
    Magnificent!!!
    Stu
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Ted, that mp3 of Bousquet that Michael posted sounds like soupe. "Hommage" has some killin' stuff, lots of sub harmony, full of tricks and utterly devastating in terms of technique. His tone on "H" is also very metallic -- far from the Heifetz-like tone that Matelot Ferret gets on "Tziganskaia." He sounds like Tchan-Tchou on steroids, IMHO. "Hommage" also shows a lot more harmonic brio in the solos. Michael's clip doesn't in my opinion show the full extent of what Bousquet could do. He could be absolutely ferocious, pushing the beat, utterly confident, at his best.

Ando
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Ando,

Sorry you weren't into those tracks...I guess it's not for everyone. What I really like about the Gitan players is their Mediterranean/Flamenco/Corsican repertoire and style. To me, that's what really sets Bousquet and Tchan Tchou apart from the wider Gypsy tradition. In fact, I think that the jazz chops of the Southern players were primitive at best. I think they excelled at the more folky stuff...that's why I posted that track. To me, Bousquet sounds more in his element on Entre Dos Aguas then on Tiger Rag. But that's just me...

If you look at the legacy of the Southern players, it's their waltzes, Latin, and folk tunes that people study and perform. I've never seen anybody interested in learning Tchan Tchou's solo on All the Things You Are...but EVERYONE wants to play La Gitane, Dark Eyes, and Two Guitars like he did!

'm
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Michael, Tcan Tchou's solo on All the things you are from swinging guitars is absolutley great. I have been working on it off and on for a while I wish I could find someone elses transcription to check my playing against but in my oppinion that solo is tops. just plain Killin!!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Michael, the funny thing is, I kinda LIKE soupe. I like Paul Pata for instance, and I actually like the track from Bousquet that you posted. It's just that I don't think it's representative of what he could do. I'm not saying you even meant to post it as a "representative Bousquet" track, either.

Let me re-phrase everything: I like the track Michael posted, but y'all should hear what else Bousquet could do. He was an animal!

Cheers,
    Ando
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Michael, Tcan Tchou's solo on All the things you are from swinging guitars is absolutley great. I have been working on it off and on for a while I wish I could find someone elses transcription to check my playing against but in my oppinion that solo is tops. just plain Killin!!

Well...there you go! If that solo inspires you then you certainly should study it!

However, I still think it's fair to say that Tchan Tchou's jazz playing contributed far less to this genre then his more folky stuff. Angelo, Stochelo, Tchavolo, etc. have all recorded La Gitane. I can't think of one recording from a contemporary player that shows Tchan Tchou's jazz influence...except for Moreno.

'm