DjangoBooks.com

Simple notes, Complex changes

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in Technique Posts: 800
I wonder how much of this is where it's at- using simple ideas like triads, small intervals etc. and playing them over more complex changes than that which are in the actual tune.

For example, in this clip (at 7:26), Tim Kliphuis opens up the changes of Dark eyes in a really cool way, with out using complicated scales. He basically uses the Bach/Autumn leaves descending 5ths thing, and it carries him all the way through the bridge back to the first A section.

It's almost like playing over implied turnarounds. I found a list of turnarounds a while back, but would be curious to see what else is out there. So, if anyone has any they want to share, please post them here.
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

Each player has a bag of turnarounds he likes to use. Find the ones you like and personalize them.

Just curious, do you ever follow up on your own threads?
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Here's another video from Dennis' Swing Violin Video were Kliphuis talks about this same idea:

To me, this is much more playable and "improvisable" then having to think about modes and scales. There's a lot of harmonic tension with these kinds of juxtapositions AND momentum in this kind of playing, even though the thinking part is relatively light and linear (as opposed to vertically steep, heavy harmonic considerations of modal playing), and it seems like the ideas can be re-organized on the fly very quickly.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so it looks like he's talking about things in terms of scales..

But really, I think you don't need scales to get this- it can all come from chords.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Are you posting this for the forum, or just for yourself?
  • thomasbaggermanthomasbaggerman The NetherlandsNew

Are YOU posting this for the forum, or just for yourself?

Are YOU posting this for the forum, or just for yourself?

:roll:
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    a wrote:
    Ok, so it looks like he's talking about things in terms of scales..

But really, I think you don't need scales to get this- it can all come from chords.

no he's not , he s talking about it in terms of chords. I made the script ;-) ... tim has his own way of saying things, i would've expressed them differently but the point is still there

cheers

btw: of course, that was just a short clip, the dvd goes into ridiculous detail over each of these concepts (and then some!!)
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    when should I order it?