DjangoBooks.com

Strings for getting the right sound / feel without Selmer

I practice on an Ibanez Artcore (half-acoustik), which is no doubt not ideal for getting a real Django sound but is all I have for now.... what strings would you recommend that lend themselves to Django style picking and comping?

thanks

Jan

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You should just use whatever strings sound best on that guitar (my guess is bronze). Strings for Selmer style guitars (mostly silver plated copper or silk and steel) are unlikely to work well on flatop guitars. They will be too light for guitars with heavier tops and shorter scale lengths.

'm
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    I did recently try John Pearse Nuages on my Breedlove and they're wonderful. Now, just to save for a Dupont!

Best
    Jason
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    random wrote:
    I practice on an Ibanez Artcore (half-acoustik), which is no doubt not ideal for getting a real Django sound but is all I have for now.... what strings would you recommend that lend themselves to Django style picking and comping?

You don't specify which Artcore you have, but I assume it has a bridge with tailpiece like standard arch-tops? You might try Hot Club Gypsyfire strings by Optima as they come with 012-packs as well. They are however softer than the steel/nickel strings of the same gauge and they won't probably sound as good when amplified. Still, I find the playing feel more selmer-like:

http://www.musiksaiten-optima.de/dynasi ... smid=61027
  • randomrandom New
    thanks for the suggestions

it's an artcore AF
    (AF85, similar to the AF75 still sold today, was a special edition based on its finish at the time and not made anymore)

Jan