DjangoBooks.com

Django's guitar cremated?

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited August 2008 in History Posts: 1,665
I'm reading Michael Dregni's wonderful new book, "Gypsy Jazz." In it, he repeats a story I've heard numerous times: that at Django's death, in keeping with gypsy custom, his belongings were burned, including his guitar.

What I'd like to know is, what guitar are they talking about? Selmer #503 is hanging in the Cité de la Musique in Paris, so what got burned?

BTW, even if you've read Michael's other two books, get this one. There's a wealth of new information, and it is a great read.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    His guitar for sure was not burned but was given to babik to study, the paintings were not burned and maybe even the tapes were kept safe for the future : as a proof for exemple remember that the 1948 concert in Belgium (with his son Lousson Baumgartner on rhythm guitar) that had been recorded by Django himself on his tape recorder was kept by Naguine and sold to a producer to make a LP years later.

I think the ceremony was only dealing with a few things such as old clothes and minor things such as fishing equipment...

Even Django's boat was still safe in 1957 when Paviot made his film also showing Babik playing Django's Selmer in his van...

I hope that all of Django's music that has a shape and a musical meaning being a confirmation of Django's genious will be soon published
  • DjazzerDjazzer New
    One of Django`s guitars was buried with him i remember seeing a photograph of Joseph placing Django`s guitar on top of the coffin.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    It does not look much like one of Django's guitars to me. I think Spatzo is right. It was mostly only minor things that were burnt or buried with him.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i hope the publish everything..the outtakes, "failures," etc.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    spatzo wrote:
    I think the ceremony was only dealing with a few things such as old clothes and minor things such as fishing equipment...

At the least one of his hinges survived and was given to Titi Bamberger by Loussons son.

Best,
    Barengero