DjangoBooks.com

Denis Chang's Jazz Manouche - Technique & Improvisation

2»

Comments

• jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    edited August 2008 Posts: 134
    Transcribe does NOT save the DVD-to-soundfile step, by the way, so I'm not "working waaaay too hard " after all- from their FAQ:
    #
    "Can Transcribe! play the sound from a DVD movie?"

Not directly. You can get software that will allow you to copy a movie from DVD to a format which Transcribe! can read - that is, a "mov" or "wmv" file - or to export the sound from a DVD to a sound file which Transcribe! can read. Or, you could plug a lead from the headphone jack which has the DVD soundtrack to the computer's line-in, and use Transcribe!'s "Record new sound file" command to record it while it's playing.
    Note that if you use "mov" or "mp4" format then Transcribe! on Windows or Mac can also display the video, see Help - Various Topics - Video, and also see this page.

Same as ASD or whatever your fave is... so are you speaking from experience, V-dub, or what?

My first Django records (WAAAYYY before CDs) are battle scarred for that reason- it's cool that software doesn't fray like picks and strings and especially vinyl :roll:

The great John LaPorta once told a bunch of us newbies at Berklee in the '70's "The Visual Trip Is a Trap". I don't go for the bells and whistles; just being able to slow down and/or change pitch is fine for me. I couldn't care less about spectrographs or whatever else you can do visually...the ear is where it's at for me. I also don't care if the software can identify chords- what good does that do me a a player? I need to learn to hear them myself...
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Audacity can also record directly from your sound card...just choose Wave Out Mix as the source. I only mention it because a lot of poor musicians--are there any other kind?--already have that bit of freeware on their computers for use in home recording.

best,
    Jack.
  • TomBatorTomBator New
    I just received my set of DVDs, i've got to say that im quite impressed at the outset. That being said I would like to get my hands on a good backing cd so i can better practice the riffs and techniques dennis demonstrates on the dvd. I've looked in the django books store and there seems to be a decent sized selection to choose from I was curious if there was any particular one that anybody would recommend.