DjangoBooks.com

Selmer #607

1235»

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001

I think many are recovering from their stunned reactions to this overwhelming display of virtuosity. I would bet that, when this album is made more available to the record-buying public, the shock wave will be felt far and wide. What you're hearing isn't the sound of crickets chirping- it's the deafening silence of amazement.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my reaction..... speechless. I've had Selmer 607 at the top of my play list for the last three weeks. I'm too inarticulate to describe so just get it if you want to get it. It is so good to hear such a talented crop of new players (new to me at least) all on one recording. The simple format (mostly one soloist, one rhythm player and a bass), the clarity & uniformity of the recording and the respect for the Selmer instrument & Django's legacy keep what could have been an unwieldy project unified and under control. But above all, such stellar playing!

The download option is a good deal, worked for me.

BTW, noticed Selmer 607 has been added to the bill at Samois. Now that would be cool to see, eh?

Craig
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    djangology wrote:
    I think this is the most exciting project to happen to gypsy jazz in the last 10 years. Bireli's Gypsy Project DVD would be my #2 most exciting thing. #3 would be Michael Horowitzs rhythm book, #4 would be Stochelos book. #5 IS Dennis's books.

Thanks Jon..nice of you to say that!

I ordered the CD from Djangostation. It cost $30 but it is less than an hour of guitar work to pay for that. The most expensive CD I have ever bought.

I'll have this CD in stock soon at about half that price. IT'S AWESOME!!!!

'm
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Michael,
    Bring one for me to Django in June! PLEASE!
    (and perhaps one of the Cub amps)
    b.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I won't be schlepping any Cubs w/me...but if I have any Selmer 607s left I'll bring 'em.

'm
  • Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
    I just got the word that Jazz.com has selected Adrien's Impressions as the featured track in its Song of the Day section for May 13, Link: http://www.jazz.com/page/2007/12/17/song-of-the-day . based on my review (link: http://www.jazz.com/music/2008/5/11/adr ... mpressions )

This is a very cool website covering all aspects of jazz, its musicians, trends and history. Selected tracks and reviews are available on an ongoing basis once they are posted.
  • selmer607selmer607 Paris FranceNew Selmer #607
    Hi Folks!

thanks Bill for the review on Jazz.com ! It's great !

Well, lots of good news... :

First I think Michael will have some copies of the album to sell by now on this web site, at a decent US price.

As you may have noticed also, Selmer 607 will be playing at Samois in June, the sunday, should be just before Stochelo's closing concert. Hope to meet some of you guys there!

We've had a presentation of the album on a french CNN-like TV, a short video featuring some images from the studio and from the concert.
    Available here : www.selmer607.com/presse.php

And last, but reeeaaalllyyy not least, there has been some update going on the web site, mainly on the "Concert" section where you'll find some pictures and no less than 6 full tracks of last april 12th concert! Great, great, stuff (I love "Danse Norvegienne" by Adrien), and a real treat with Costel Nitescu's Violon (featured on "I hear music").

Enjoy!

Cheers

André
    Sébastien Giniaux - Mélodie des Choses
    From jazz guitar to world music, paintings and poetry.
    Web Site : www.sebastienginiaux.com
    FaceBook | MySpace | YouTube

Selmer #607
    Web Site : http://www.selmer607.com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    André,

I love the new live tracks ( of the La Grosse Mignonne performance) you posted on your site. Thanks for those! Never have I received so much value from a CD I have bought (except maybe Impair & Valse) . :-)
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Just wondering if we will see the remaining backing tracks and charts someday?