DjangoBooks.com

John Jorgenson (Le Quecum Bar - London)

Wayne DevineWayne Devine London
edited February 2008 in Europe Posts: 8
Le Quecum Bar (London)

John Jorgenson was fantastic Sunday night (24th Feb).

His new album is very imaginative and highly ornamental, producing sounds of a worldly experience of music and culture.

It was a complete show. Two incredible halves. He opened with some new tracks. Then playing his "Franco-American Swing" big tunes. Followed by some glorious clarinet playing even sang a tune.

He went from Paris to New Orleans to Latin American, all over. Tipped his hat to the great sounds of the Robin Nolan trio, playing Mediterranean Blues.

The band was outstanding. Kevin Nolan solid and an incredible rock of rhythm as usual. Very sophisticated bass playing form Charlie Chadwick wonderful solo's. Young and very talented violin from Jason Anick (watch out for more from him) Rick Reed percussion, nice to see some drums in the house for the first time. Also a couple of lovely ladies on trombones.

Don't get me wrong I love to hear, "Djangology" "Minor Swing" etc as much as the next man. However I think it's very important that people do there own thing and bring something new to the table.

Tip your hat to Django, but in the words of Sting, "Be yourself no matter what they say" Great job John. I was thoroughly entertained!!!

The new album is "Ultraspontane" I encourage everyone to pick up a copy.

I have owned his two DvD tutorials now for a couple of years and the two things that come across other than them being great value. Is his infectious love of the gypsy jazz style and simple that he comes across as a very nice man who you would like to take lessons from.

To cap the evening off, Bruce Welsh from the Shadows was there. Big hero from my childhood.

Wonderful evening in London

Wayne.