DjangoBooks.com

John Jorgensen:that good?

musicofanaticmusicofanatic Swingville✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Welcome Posts: 38
John Jorgensen's quintet is coming to a venue near me soon (I can't go; I have a gig), and the promoter's (not Jorgensen's) press release puts forth that he is "...probably the best gypsy jazz guitarist ever." EVER? Including Django? Including Bireli, Fapy, Tschavolo, any Rosenberg, any Ferre (or Ferret), or any number of other non-english speaking gypsy jazz gtrists who didn't grow up in southern Ca.? I am quite aware of J.J.'s extremely high level of musical prowess (in general, not specifically in the gypsy jazz genre). Anyone who can master the double reed woodwinds has my utmost respect. And I wouldn't turn down a gig with Elton John, if offered. But could he really be rated that highly in the scope of G.J. gtr.? (Disclaimer: I am generally repulsed by discussions of who is "the best" of anything, but I couldn't leave this one alone) Discuss...?
chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp...

Comments

• ronzoronzo AnacortesNew
    I think the only thing to discuss is the promoter's lack of suitable vocabulary and/or over-exuberance! Let's face it, his or her goal is to sell out the house.

I say, why sweat the small stuff.

R
  • musicofanaticmusicofanatic Swingville✭✭✭
    Yes, quite possibly you are correct. I realize in re-reading my post that it could be interpreted that I wished to incite some Jorgensen bashing. This was definately not my intention. I merely wondered does he indeed rate with the truly great in this field. I've not heard his gypsy jazz playing (I did hear him playing tenor banjo once in a dixieland band at Disneyland many years ago, and I've heard the Desrt Rose band), and was hoping someone would fill me in. I hope to be able to attend his show in western Ma. in June.
    chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp...
  • ronzoronzo AnacortesNew
    I did not perceive it as an attempt to do some JJ bashing...merely to call your attention to the fact that the promoter may have been taking some liberties.

That said, why even try to determine who's best.. they all have something to offer.

Just my 15 cents worth

R