DjangoBooks.com

Put Your Guitar on a Diet!

124»

Comments

• edited April 2022 Posts: 4,745

My Ivanovski came at 3.8lb with a beefy Boonstra tailpiece, internal contact mic with the output jack, rosewood armrest, enclosed tuners and I made sure to scrub the sweat off of it prior to weighing. Oh yeah, back, sides and the neck are maple, spruce top.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I once took an electric sander to an old beater guitar I had to see how thin I could get it, without it braking, to see if it would get louder. It got a little louder.

BillDaCostaWilliamsdjangology
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭

More data points?

Leo Eimers F-hole 3 lbs. 12 1/2 oz.

Cedar top, mahogany sides, back, neck. Lower bout 4 1/4 deep. Fairly loud in my opinion.

Dell Arte oval hole 4 lbs. 4 3/8 oz.

spruce top, quilted maple sides and back. Maple neck. Not nearly as loud as the Eimers.

AJL 17 in. Archtop 5 lbs. 10 oz.

Maple sides, back, neck. It's heavy and huge, like a cello in your lap. My wife says it is my loudest guitar by far. I think it is more "bright" than loud.

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,018

USA Dell Arte Hommage D Cedar - 4.34lbs (1.97 kg)

Eimers Antique 2016 w/Carlos Sensor Attached (Samois Edition Build) - 3.825 lbs (1.734 Kg)

Eimers Antique 2022 w/ Bigtone (Website Player Build) - 4.025 lbs (1.826 kg)

Shelley Park Encore 1999 - 4.205 lbs (1.907 kg)

How much does a Carlos Sensor weigh? how much does a Bigtone weigh?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 959

Another three got weighed for what it is worth.

My 'Chorus's style guitar by Tony Petrarca with spruce top and maple laminate back and sides and a walnut neck weighs 3.9lbs or 3lbs 14.36 ounces. The Schaller Deluxe tuners might add an ounce and the unique cast tailpiece may add a tiny bit more than a stamped one but I doubt it would make much difference.

The Di Mauro St Louis Blues weighs 3.79lbs or 3lbs 12.64 ounces. It has laminated maple back and sides, and a mahogany neck (which has had three thin aluminum rods added) and covered SB tuners but I am not sure if the top is spruce or might be cedar by the color of it.

Neither have any added pickups or wiring.

As for volume certainly the Di Mauro is the louder of the two, the Petrarca has a more mellow tone and less bite as would be expected of the type. But for the less weight equals more volume argument my Paul Beuscher resonator beats everything. At 6.39lbs or 6lbs 6.3 ounces it is heavy and very loud.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

But it's metal, not wood -- especially the top. A 6 lbs wooden acoustic guitar would not win any awards, unless maybe the top was very thin!

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Doh! Yes, I know it is metal......I was just having a joke with y'all.

But then again who says metal guitars don't count? Oscar Alemán and Serge Camps have played some great GJ on resonators. If that is what it takes to cut through, why not?

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

This thread is making my 4.5 pound guitar feel insecure.

mac63000BucorudolfochristLango-DjangoBonesbillyshakesbbwood_98MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams