Who makes handmade gypsy guitars?

Comments

• MingusMingus
    Manuel May in Hamburg/Germany.

http://www.may-guitars.de
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Michael Dunn in Vancouver BC

http://www.michaeldunnguitars.com/

I've had mine for about five years now, and I'm real happy with it.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Does anyone have experience with La Fee guitars? I love some of the designs.

http://www.guitareslafee.com/
    Warning: long involved question about luthiers---

OK, here goes...

I've only managed to attend Django in June once, and that was in 2008.

There was an amateur luthier there, I hope somebody knows his name---? who had just made his first original designed guitar that somehow blended gypsy and classical-style internal bracing.

I personally didn't get a chance to play it, buy everyone who did was oohing and ahhing over it... and it finally would up that Robin Nolan had to try it at a jam session in the upstairs hall, and he loved it so much that he chose it to use for his Friday night concert... pronouncing that it was a "cannon"....

I've always wondered if that guy was still working on this blended design and how it's been working out for him in the few years since I met him...??

Can anybody finish this story?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    That was Bob Holo, and that very guitar and its twin have both been for sale on Djangobooks.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    That was Bob Holo, and that very guitar and its twin have both been for sale on Djangobooks.
    How much did they go for, if you don't mind me asking?

I think they were $3,500, but Michael would be the one to ask.
    Perhaps if the owners of those guitars are reading this thread they will have some comments about their guitars.

Personally I'm too attached to my Michael Dunn guitar to ever sell it, but if I ever came into a little windfall I'd be tempted to buy a guitar like Holo is making... I think it's a real interesting thing he's doing, combining gypsy and classical style construction, and I'd like to know more about it.

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Perhaps if the owners of those guitars are reading this thread they will have some comments about their guitars.

Personally I'm too attached to my Michael Dunn guitar to ever sell it, but if I ever came into a little windfall I'd be tempted to buy a guitar like Holo is making... I think it's a real interesting thing he's doing, combining gypsy and classical style construction, and I'd like to know more about it.
    Bob makes wonderful guitars, but Rodrigo Shopis builds guitars that are as good as anything out there, and better than most. Check out this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gOH_2tWuU

BTW, I happen to own that guitar now (bought it over a year ago from the original owner, Charlie Miller), and I love it so much that I've ordered another one from Rodrigo, a Selmer-sized D hole, which I should have in a few weeks.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles