DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Amplification/Pickup System Overview

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    thanks, michael. i was thinking along the same lines.
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Thanks Michael,

Now that you mentioned comparative tone, I'm curious about volume difference between the Ulrtasound & Fishman Loudbox?

TIA
    HCQ
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    HCQ wrote:
    Thanks Michael,

Now that you mentioned comparative tone, I'm curious about volume difference between the Ulrtasound & Fishman Loudbox?

TIA

Volume is pretty similar (the Lunchbox is crazy loud for it's size!), but depends which Loudbox you're talking about. The Mini is about as loud as the others....the Loudbox 100's bigger 8" and increased power seems to be the loudest. The Ultrasound AG-30 is about the same as the ZT but is less directional. The ZT doesn't disperse that well as the speaker is so small.
    [quote="Michael Horowitz"][quote="ibradbur"]Couple of comments.. First the Peche ala Mouche amp is available in North America, by special order. I had mine delivered over the summer and its amazing. [/quote]

Juan told me they can't send the amps to the US because the liability insurance is too expensive (never thought about it but I guess they need to be covered in the event someone gets shocked!).

I think they can ship to Canada though.[/quote]

Good news, they got the liability insurance issues worked out so Peche a la mouche amps can now be sent to the US. We've got both models coming in:

Peche a la mouche Deluxe Amplifier

Peche a la mouche Deluxe
    Amplifier

Peche a la mouche Daphné Amplifier

Peche a la mouche Daphné
    Amplifier

• jorrijorri ✭✭
    I am curious as to how magnetic pickups work when the wound strings are only copper/silver plate wound, compared to steel plain strings.
    I'm going by daddario strings here. i fitted them to an archtop once, and the plain strings remained as loud, but the lower strings had the effect of the volume knob being on 2 or 3.
    this was a end-of neck standar archtop pickup.

are they just super-hot magnets on one side or something for these gypsy orientated pickups?.
    The Gypsy style magnetic pickups are compensated for the wound strings so the balance will be more even.
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    does anyone have suggestions for a magnetic pickup to fit a dupont mdc50? my peche a la mouche doesnt fit because of the bracing :( i'm bummed because this is my favorite pickup!
    The Dupont Stimer is made to fit the MDC-50:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/pic ... -hole.html
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Anyone compared the Bigtone vs Biggertone pickups?
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I'm real happy with my Fishman Loudbox Mini, especially when I carry it to gigs because it's so small and light.

Plus now I'm using a magnetic pickup with a foot pedal, and I'm fairly happy with both of those, too.

At a low volume it sounds like an accurate amplification of an acoustic guitar, but as you crank it, it begins to sound more like an electric guitar.

However, even that distorted sound is still infinitely preferable to feedback noise...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."