DjangoBooks.com

Tell me about Gypsy Jazz in NYC

2»

Comments

• HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    I had a blast jamming with some very good players last night at PJ Hanley's. Kinda' felt like the guest host on a late night show, Lots of fun.
    Violinists David Butler and David Bakriges sat in. I met David B. at
    a previous Wremble jam. Rich Yescalis, the rhythm guitarist for the HC Philly made the trip up from Bucks Co. I bribed him by offering to pay for a hot pastrami on rye from Katz's deli! Piruz P. did a great job on bass.
    He filled in last Friday for our bassist, Jim Stager bass, also.
    About 1/2 way Thru the evening local stalwart Ben Wood showed to add his 7 string Selmac to the mix
    and Marc Daines made it a bit later. It's always cool to meet and hear new players. Marc playe dvery well, a total pro, and we all were feeding off of each others ideas and energy. a total blast. The music was so much fun we ended playing one last song after the 10:30 ending time just for ourselves. [We played Bossa Dorado. Ben said it was nice to not play "Dark Eyes" as a closer for once!]
    We encountered a police checkpoint on the way home, and even that somewhat Kafkaesque experience
    couldn't dampen my spirits. It looks like there is a thriving NY scene, that includes some of us Philly cats from time to time. I really feel like the whole scene is growing, building on each others enthusiasm.
    Getting a steady Djam going here in Philly would be very cool.
    I'm looking for venues, and I'll keep you all posted.
    Latcho Drom,
    Barry