DjangoBooks.com

ALD GRANDE BOUCHE 14 FRET GUITAR WITH HISCOX HARDSHELL CASE

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    how does it measure against your dupont?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Incredibly well.....in many ways it actually looks exactly like a Dupont. You can hardly tell the binding and other details apart.

The ALD's main qualities are:

1) Full bodied tone with a very warm low end

2) Surprisingly, the nice low end doesn't come at the expense of bright and responsive high end. The ALD will give you a lot of power when playing lead.

3) A little wet, but not too much. Just enough to give the guitar a richness when playing alone, but not so much that it gets cloudy and weird when playing with a group.

The Dupont VR doesn't have much low end, so the ALD wins out on that. The ALD is a way better rhythm guitar then the Dupont.

The Dupont is also a bit on the harsh side tonally, but that's partially what makes it cut so well. And that's really were the Dupont shines...it's specialized for maximum lead power. So it'll edge the ALD out around the campfire.

However, the ALD is still a really good lead guitar. And when amplified or recorded it will probably sound better then the Dupont. when you play single notes on the ALD you get this nice little bright attack followed by a rich, fat tone. Really pretty sound. The Dupont has more attitude...but the ALD is fat city.

So the ALD acoustically is a little bit quieter. But still gives you enough to hang in a jam. In general, the ALD can be thought of as an exceptionally good all around guitar. It has a really good balance across the whole frequency range without becoming to bassy or weak. It's hard to find a guitar like that.

BTW, this ALD really reminds of how Bireli's Hahl sounds on his Move CD. Very similar guitar...so if you want a virtual comparison just listen to one of the first two Gypsy Poject CDs. Bireli played a Dupont VR on those.Then listen to the Move CD which was recorded with the Hahl.

'm
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Sorry for this dumb question, but what country are they made in? I couldn't find a web site for ALD.

Whoops! I found it. France. How long have they been making Gypsy guitars?
    -fopa
    They've been making them for around 5 years....really nice. I played the D hole all weekend at Djangofest and it was great. Andreas gave it a whirl too and liked it a lot.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I played the D hole all weekend at Djangofest and it was great.

Since when do you have time to play at Djangofests???
    Just in between the rushes while I'm watching the merch.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    We've got to find a way to get you back in the jams, Michael - I miss your playing. I find myself thinking about the 'good ol days' with you at the kitchen table at Troys with Chris & Ross & Pat & Tim & the rest of the shredders 'lightin it up' on Joseph Joseph while Papillo booms solid bass lines out from the corner...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    thanks Bob...those were the days! Back then I actually got to enjoy the festival.... :D