DjangoBooks.com

D-hole for lead???

2»

Comments

• manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Hi Michael and glad to hear you like the Orchestre so much! They really are wonderful instruments and I haven't heard a better sounding guitar at any price. If you still need a different bridge email me please. I hope to be in PA later this summer!

Robert
    Stackabones,
    Do you know any shops in the D/FW area that carry the Gitane guitars? I can't find them locally.

I don't know of anybody.

I got a chance to play an oval and a D-hole at the last Dallas Guitar Show and decided that I liked both, but favored the D. Waited patiently and picked up a used Saga Gitane D500 (my first and, so far, only selmac) on ebay. The Ciganos look like a good deal, also.

PM sent on teacher issue.
    I have been asking myself this same question lately. I have a Manouche Jazz, but recently bought an Orchestre, which is the D-hole model. It takes a little getting used to the shorter neck, but the sound of the Manouche D-hole is just stunning!

Those look so nice. For a while I seriously considered the nylon-string D-hole! Mmmm.
    And Stackabones, my parents live in Richardson, TX, and I am down there from time to time (maybe next month). Are you near there? Might be fun to hook up.

PM sent!
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    BTW, I remember Shelley Park mentioning that lately she's been getting more inquiries about D-hole guitars with the longer scale length. Seems like it could make for a nice combination.
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    djadam wrote:
    BTW, I remember Shelley Park mentioning that lately she's been getting more inquiries about D-hole guitars with the longer scale length. Seems like it could make for a nice combination.

I own a Shelly Park 14 fret D Hole and a Dupont 12 fret D Hole. Very different sounding instruments. The Park is flat out the loudest guitar I've ever heard. The Dupont has a much more traditional "Selmer Sound". Both great for rhythm or lead.
    -fopa
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    the D-holes aren't louder from the point of view of the listener, imho, they just project to their players ear better. if you are hard of hearing, then you definitely want the D hole.
    djangology wrote:
    if you are hard of hearing, then you definitely want the D hole.

I'm sooo glad that I got my D-hole ... I'm hard of hearing!