DjangoBooks.com

Honeysuckle Riff

KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
edited March 2005 in Technique Posts: 110
I first ran into this cliche in Honeysuckle Rose, and it didn't cause me much trouble but it happens a few times in I'll See You... as well, which is faster and so it's giving me trouble...

-5--------------------------
----6---------5-------------
-------5---------7--5------
-----------7-------------7--

My trouble is when doing this all downstroked (well, DDDDDDUD) I have to jump back up (er, down) to the B string for that E. Do you usually brush through the G string or do you lift up your pick up again after hitting the D string?

Kevin

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    that particular passage was never a problem for me, that kind of stuff was actually something i had worked on before playing django style (2 downs in a row with a string between).

you're not actually suppose to pluck the G string, you lift it just enough so that it misses it... it shouldn't feel like you're lifting it though (even though you are) it's as if you barely miss the G string

i'll see you in my dreams has a few tough moments but i never found it too hard if played at the right tempo... for some reason i see a lot of people play it much faster , and in such a case it definitely can be a technical nightmare...

on the other hand if you want real nightmares and frustration, check out the 1940 solo of dark eyes... iit's freakin hard, and to think django was improvising it... i have a hard time believing that, i'm sure at least some of the arpeggios were premeditated or at least worked out as some sort of etude outside of the solo

anyway back to the string skipping lick... a good way to practice that is to practice the tchavolo descending chromatic lick

-12-x---11-x--10-x---------------
    ------------------------------------
    -------8------7------6-------------

D U D picking.... u can do it as triplets (most obvious choice) or 16 th notes at a slow tempo or 8th notes at a faster tempo

in other news kevin, i'm finally gonna get my collins, i'm heading to toronto this weekend, i'll also kill 2 birds with one stone and record my cd while i'm there! finally, it's been a nightmare to coordinate all this
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Kcox wrote:
    My trouble is when doing this all downstroked (well, DDDDDDUD) I have to jump back up (er, down) to the B string for that E. Do you usually brush through the G string or do you lift up your pick up again after hitting the D string?

Finally someone who knows my pain. I know that lick all to well from I'll See You in My Dreams. That DDDDD section gets me every time. Playing it straight isn't too bad, but when you have to get it to swing all those downstrokes get difficult to pull off well. I usually cheat and upstroke on the B and D strings. Like Dennis said, usually the reason its hard is because everybody tries to play it too fast. I notice that every time I play it live I'm playing at a speed way faster than the original. In fact, playing along at the original tempo feels slow to me now. That just goes to show how these speed freak new generation of gypsies have corrupted our minds!
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    Glad to know I'm not alone, VW. I just finished memorizing the solo all the way through, though I'm still having some timing problems due to the technical work around those DDDDDDD runs and the weird section that starts with the descending chromatic run around 1:32.

Good to hear about your guitar, Dennis. Does that mean I get to keep the one I've got here? At any rate, I can't wait to both hear and try it. Are you going to try recording with it or are you going to use one that has opened up already? I would say that I'd hate to be your neighbours as you open this one up, but that would be a lie...I'd love to listen in on you practicing sometime.

Anyway, I just spent 2 hours practicing myself and now I have to go to class. JUST THREE MORE WEEKS!!!

Kevin