DjangoBooks.com

flambee montalbanese

musik_mavenmusik_maven Washington StateNew
edited March 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 3
Anybody know where I can find a lead sheet/chord chart for Flambee Montalbanese? Intriguing tune.

How about some background on the tune? I have a few versions of it including one vocal but don't know anything about it other than I like it.

al
If you can't whistle or hum it, it probably isn't worth doing

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    A transcription can be found here.
    http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm
    As far as history goes I can only assume it is an old Musette tune. I have also heard a vocal version very cool. If anyone knows anyback ground on the tune please post I too would be intrested to hear it. In the mean time I will see what I can dig up.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • musik_mavenmusik_maven Washington StateNew
    Caleb - thanks for the link - I found FM as well as a lot of other great tunes
    If you can't whistle or hum it, it probably isn't worth doing
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    CalebFSU wrote:
    . I have also heard a vocal version very cool.

This may have been the version sung by André Mienville with (for example) Francis Varis, accordeon and Didi Duprat, guitar, published on the CD "Paris Musette"of the Label La Lichere (Distr. Night and Day) CD LLL 137.

Flambee Montalbanaise is a composition of the great Accordeonist Gus Viseur.

Best regards

Barengero
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Barnegro, That is indeed the vocal version I have. I did a short presentation in my French class the other day on Parisian Jazz and started with Mussette. That is the very track I played. I figured it was a Gus Viseur tune considering the vocalist on the track says "Thank you Viseur" in english. Thanks to Scot for hipping me to that stuff I love it. Everyone in my class really dug it too.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Caleb and others, Mienville's singing is pretty amazing. It's difficult to sing that tune *that* fast, and to keep the diction clear, well, it's a bona fide feat in my book.

Also check out Koen De Cauter's bizarre and strangely beautiful take on the melody on the "Musette" CD by his ensemble "Les P'tits Belges." I've transcribed it somewhere -- when I'll find it, I'll post it here.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    This is embarrassing. I only did the first phrase:

flambee_koen1.gif

Well, I'll just have to do the rest. Look for it next week unless someone beats me to it.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • lnblnb WalsallNew
    It wa writen by Gus Viseur and appears in volume 5 of MUSETTE Recueil de 110 Succes by Pual Beuscher, these are fantastic books full of great tunes.
    There is a tune called Boulevard du Swing in the same volume and the lyrics mention Django, does anyone know a recording of this.
    "Boulevard du Swing" is a composition of guitarist Jean Bonal and accordeonist Aimable. I don´t know a recording of this tune (because usually I don´t like the Aimable sound, but perhaps this is a misjudgement).

So I suppose that you can find a recording on a LP of Aimable and/or of Jean Bonal.

Best regards

Barengero
    lnb wrote:
    There is a tune called Boulevard du Swing in the same volume and the lyrics mention Django, does anyone know a recording of this.

Ha! Look here!
    http://www.spronk.nl/PHPStore/detail.ph ... toe&id=856

Barengero
  • lnblnb WalsallNew
    Thanx