DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Bazaar at Django in June

andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
edited February 2007 in Classifieds Posts: 134
I'm sure that any of you with guitars for sale would rather get them sold before June, but I'd like to let folks know that we plan on having a Guitar Bazaar at Django in June this year which will include not only the vendors in attendance, but our own table. I'm hoping this will be particularly useful for people with a used guitar for sale, though I'll be putting out the invite to builders as well.

I'm in the market for a new guitar myself, you see, so I've had a chance to see what the deal looks like from this side of the fence. So many people have lovely sounding guitars for sale all over the country, but what am I going to do, spend $90 on round trip shipping for every one? Imagine going into a guitar store and being told you had to pay $90 to try a guitar. Suffice it to say, this is not giving people a strong incentive to check out your axe.

So we're going to offer to sell peoples' guitars on consignment at Django in June. The seller pays shipping to have their guitar(s) shown to the largest gathering of Djangophiles in New England. We'll take a commision if it sells, otherwise, we get nothing out of the deal but some work and an interesting adjunct to our event. Personally, I think we'll sell some guitars. Where else is someone going to have this kind of opportunity? I, for one, intend to walk away from this event with a new axe.

If you have any questions or care to help me think through the details, please comment here or jot me a note.

Andrew
http://djangoinjune.com/
communityguitar.com

Comments

• marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Andrew,
    Great idea. Have you settled on commission structure? It would be great if it were less (hopefully substantially so) than the standard music store rate of 20%.

Mike A.
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Hey Mike...long time no see. (Zack's been saying nice things about you since he moved down here.) I worked at a store once where the commission was even higher than that.

I was thinking 15% would strike a fair balance. Less than that, it's hard to justify the work on our part. More than that, the seller starts smarting from the hit. What do you think?

Andrew